The Full 'Montbeliardii' (Ensete Montbeliardii)

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I guess we'll all be closely watching the forecasts in the coming weeks,trying to figure out when to start bringing stuff in etc.
Still it would be nice if we have an Indian summer,but what are the chances?
Steve
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Beware, we have a cold dry winter, wettest summer ever since 1956, now we have a major cold one coming, if you love ya nan lol dig up and give tlc.

My prediction.

In my alter ego I am a medium lol. I know that we are going to be hit hard. I knew this year was going to bet wet, and all my mates are now in awe lol. Saying that I have got my first flowering basjoo thanks to the rain lol.
Libby

Post by Libby »

I was having a think about how to house these big babies in the greenhouse over winter without having to give them the chop. I thought I would share it with you as I (should I say hubby) is about to put the base down. Under one of the slabs, will be a deep hole!!!!!!!! :lol:
Cunning huh!!!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've just realised it is 3 months to the day that I started this topic, and just thought I'd give an update. :wink:

When I compare the 'Montbeliardii' now with the pic of 8th June, it is quite a shock. I don't think mine has been the fastest growing out of our bunch but it is still a surprise how small it was back then.

Today the sun shining on the stem caught my eye as it was such a bright shiny burgundy. The undersides of the leaves have coloured up quite well, but still the tops are mainly green with the dark burgundy midrib. 8)

PS Notice the repidly browing lawn. We've had 1mm of rain in two showers since 23rd August :roll:
Attachments
080907 Ensete Montbeliardii.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Montys almost as big as the Hiniba now :D
In fact once the newest leaf opens it'll have overtaken it.
How're the rest doing?
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: The Full 'Montbeliardii'

Post by Dave Brown »

I thought I would resurect this topic as so many members have joined since the last post. I have amazed myself at how much the 'Montbeliardii' has grown since last September. :lol:

I took it up the garden for a photo shoot.... let go of it for 2 seconds and it was on it's side. Clearly will not be able to leave it outside in that pot. But seriously, I think it will be wrecked by the wind where ever I put it.

'Montbeliardii' and T shirt. It was like holding up a drunken mate. On its side within seconds :lol:
240408 Monty Me.jpg
Attachments
Monty Don ed ny T Shirt.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by daz »

Wow dave thats a cracker mate.I have a small one{'Montbeliardii' i mean lol}But it just will not start to GROW :cry:
Libby

Post by Libby »

Wow and was it kept under cover not in your conservatory?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Libby wrote:Wow and was it kept under cover not in your conservatory?
Libby, It was under the covered bit to start off with, but when they started forecasting -6C I moved it into the conservatory. Ended up going down to -2C under the covered bit. Problem with the heat in the conservatory is the leaves are quite soft now and will be smashed to peices in the gales. I need to start hardening it off but on less windy days. Had 40mph gusts again today. :roll:

Daz, I think 'Montbeliardii' needs more heat to get going than Maurelii. If you read back near the beginning of this topic, I moved the 'Montbeliardii' from the decking down onto the patio to give it more heat last summer. It seems to need 25C or so to really get going. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by daz »

Ohh ta dave.I guess when the weather warms up it will start to move :wink:
Libby

Post by Libby »

Heres mine, with my cat as standard measure :lol: :lol:
100_5429.JPG
haven't they got lovely leaf markings. Is this hardier than the Maurelli I murdered? As its was in the same greenhouse???
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Libby, is it possible that your moggy murdered the maurelii by watering it?
Andy
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Two beautiful plants there, Dave & Libby. Nice cat as well :lol: I swear we have the same chairs as you as well Libby, we're planning on getting a new set this year as it's most desperately needed :lol: Anyway, back on topic, I lost my Maurelii as from the moment it arrived as a plug plant it started going deformed :( Still, am hoping to get at least another small Maurelii from a member of this board, and perhaps a 'Montbeliardii' if we're ever down at Amulree (or if we make it to the meet), as they're yummy!!!

Thanks, take care

Pete
Libby

Post by Libby »

AndyC wrote:Libby, is it possible that your moggy murdered the maurelii by watering it?
Not a chance,he's not allowed in with out supervision :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

So how many still have a 'Montbeliardii' Ensete ventricosum var. Montbeliardii. after last winter. I lost my big one after leaving it out :roll: The small one I had overwintered in the covered bit which went down to -4C. The E ventricosum next to it was killed stone dead but the 'Montbeliardii' was not touched and started to grow again in March. icon_thumright

There seems to be some debate on whether you can prop 'Montbeliardii''s by chopping back like Maurelii, and Tissue Culture does not always work either. They do not seem to be available in the US at all, so it seems all the stock is in the UK and came from David Constantine of Koba Koba. My original came directly from Citrinus on ebay in June 2007 (start of this topic), who we believe to be David Constantine, and the second one from Amulree in June 2008. It seems that all the original stock has now gone,so if you still have one.... LOOK AFTER IT there may not be any more :roll:

They won't live indefinately, but just maybe they will pup after a few years icon_scratch

This second one seems to be a more sturdy, healthy Banana than the first which was blown over by the wind and needed staking last year.

How are your's doing icon_thumright

Here it was in early May 2009
300409 Monty.jpg
Here 14th June 2009
140609 Monty.jpg
Here at the beginning of July
070709 Monty 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright