musa super dwarf cav

Post Reply
User avatar
mushtaq86
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: hartlepool

musa super dwarf cav

Post by mushtaq86 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 pm

musa super dwarf cav

The only edible fruiting banana which we realistically can get fruit from if grown in a greenhouse or conservatory in the UK, needs large pot if to fruit.fruits at 4ft.I have been growing this banana for two years now,in my front room.I lost the mother plant this year for some strange reason, and the two pups have taken over, and i have had to start from scratch again. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Attachments
musa super dwarf cav.JPG
musa super dwarf cav 2.JPG
musa super dwarf cav 3.JPG


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by Dave Brown » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Mine was in it's 4th year last year and I was really hopeful for it to flower, but the compost was still wet when it turned cold and a combination of cold /wet rotted the roots. I had to downsize the pot dramatically to dry it out. It has rooted again but is now just a shadow of it's former self. The main stem dramatically reduced in size and the pups took over the main growth.
211208 Super Dwarf Cav.jpg
The largest pup now is 2 years old so I probably have another 2 years maybe before getting to fruiting size.
111009 Super dwarf Cav.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
mushtaq86
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: hartlepool

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by mushtaq86 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Mine was in it's 4th year last year and I was really hopeful for it to flower, but the compost was still wet when it turned cold and a combination of cold /wet rotted the roots. I had to downsize the pot dramatically to dry it out. It has rooted again but is now just a shadow of it's former self. The main stem dramatically reduced in size and the pups took over the main growth.
211208 Super Dwarf Cav.jpg
The largest pup now is 2 years old so I probably have another 2 years maybe before getting to fruiting size.
111009 Super dwarf Cav.jpg

That's two years earlier than i will get mine to fruit Dave.


User avatar
mushtaq86
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: hartlepool

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by mushtaq86 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I lost my super dwarf cav in february,its a nana that will not tolerate being put on hold,even though my greenhouse did not drop less than 10c.My new super dwarf cav will be inside my south facing front room this winter.where temps do not drop less than 15c.


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by Dave Brown » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Only just seen this Mush, I lost all of mine in the conservatory as well :ahhh!: The winter appears to have just been too long for them. I ended up with 2 struggling but both gave up in May when you would have expected them to take off :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by redsquirrel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:37 pm

isnt it funny how they do that? dwarf hobbit was the same last year,maintained slow but steady new leaves then come spring just died
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure


User avatar
mushtaq86
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: hartlepool

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by mushtaq86 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Only just seen this Mush, I lost all of mine in the conservatory as well :ahhh!: The winter appears to have just been too long for them. I ended up with 2 struggling but both gave up in May when you would have expected them to take off :roll:
That's a shame Dave :( Its quite clear that cavendish family will not tolerate being put on hold for 5 to 6 months,mine was kept at 10c,that shows what your up against. The plant it self stops growing under 14c,when i kept cavs in my south facing front room were temps did not drop less than 15c the plants grew slowly over winter months no mater how cold it was outside with out any problems.A nana that needs to be kept growing :roll:
Last edited by mushtaq86 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
mushtaq86
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: hartlepool

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by mushtaq86 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:33 pm

redsquirrel wrote:isnt it funny how they do that? dwarf hobbit was the same last year,maintained slow but steady new leaves then come spring just died
What is a dwarf hobbit Darren :lol: :lol: :lol:


User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by redsquirrel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:18 pm

it was believed to be a superdwarf that i grew for 18 months in my lounge and dining rooms.was only a homebase cheapy but never achieved more than a foot in height.kept a healthy head on it but just never baulked up.when it died,i did find the problem,halfway up the stem it had re-rooted for some reason and this blocked anything coming up from the pot. the hobbit bit was a name given to it by birmingham chris and it stuck
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure


User avatar
mushtaq86
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: hartlepool

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by mushtaq86 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:01 pm

redsquirrel wrote:it was believed to be a superdwarf that i grew for 18 months in my lounge and dining rooms.was only a homebase cheapy but never achieved more than a foot in height.kept a healthy head on it but just never baulked up.when it died,i did find the problem,halfway up the stem it had re-rooted for some reason and this blocked anything coming up from the pot. the hobbit bit was a name given to it by birmingham chris and it stuck
Looks like you had a musa truly tiny,its the next size down from super dwarf cav,its a shame you lost it, while its not a rare plant,its rare to see it in the UK.


User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: musa super dwarf cav

Post by redsquirrel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 am

i think it was more likely just a duff plant with a lack of something
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure


Post Reply