Ensete ventricosum Montbeliardii History

Rabbie

Re: Ensete ventricosum Montbeliardii, 'Montbeliardii' History

Post by Rabbie »

I have doing a lot of youtube viewing about bananas, am suprised by what abuse they can cope with, amazing plants.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Ensete ventricosum Montbeliardii, Ensete ventricosum 'Mo

Post by Dave Brown »

Rabbie wrote:I have doing a lot of youtube viewing about bananas, am suprised by what abuse they can cope with, amazing plants.
The 'Montbeliardii' is about to get more abuse in the next week or so. I intend to leave the leaves on until it is out of the ground, which you may think is madness, but there is method in my madness :lol:

The whole plant is extremely heavy, and to cut the leaves off then try to dig out will be a big heavy operation. My plan is to just cut through the roots around the base, and then use the weight of the top to topple it over, and out of the ground. Then the leaves will be removed. It is already leaning over the lawn due to almost continuous high SW to W winds over the last 2 1/2 months so won't take much to topple it in that direction. :wink:

It is still growing at the moment and the heavy rain of the last couple of days seems to have speeded it up somewhat. As this is a slightly frost resistant E.ventricosum varient I might leave for another week yet, as lowest temps for here over the next 5 days is 11C icon_thumright

Here on 30th Oct
Attachments
2011-10-30 13-07-10 Ensete v Montbeliardii.jpg
2011-10-30 13-07-36 Ensete v Montbaliardii trunk.jpg
2011-10-30 13-07-54 Ensete v Montbeliardii trunk.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Ensete ventricosum Montbeliardii History

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Will you pup it next year?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Is that colocasia Dave growing under your ensete ventricosum montbeliardii? it ,looks like it is? if so that will be a job getting that out won't it when removing your monster! that is one massive trunk on the 'Montbeliardii'. 8)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

It looks like your 'Montbeliardii' is pupping already. It's also mutating. Perhaps you have the first Ensetecasia ventrillustris Montbelibeauty nigra in history icon_cheers :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:Is that colocasia Dave growing under your ensete ventricosum montbeliardii? it ,looks like it is? if so that will be a job getting that out won't it when removing your monster! that is one massive trunk on the Ensete ventricosum 'Montbeliardii'. 8)
They are Colocasia Black Beauty, San, and they will be dug out before the Ensete is. As I'm not bothered about the Ensete roots it will not be a problem. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

that is so unbelievably massive, i am agast. :shock:

it is such a shame we havent had chance to see that plant with a full set of undamaged leaves .
it sort of doesnt look like a nana when every leaf is shredded fully.

will ensete only get to those kinds of sizes in the ground?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I would dare say though mr list that it would look exactly the same in its natural environment with it being a height as big as that.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave Brown wrote: They are Colocasia Black Beauty, San, and they will be dug out before the Ensete is. As I'm not bothered about the Ensete roots it will not be a problem. :wink:
And a beauty it is dave. I cant wait to see the pictures of the montbeliardii once lifted. :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Still not dug out yet and the expected frost last night did not happen so it remains outside for another week yet. Here is a pic of it on 23rd Nov with a new roller just unfurled. Obviously with the wind over the weekend end it has been shredded now, but at least I got a pic of an almost open full leaf :lol:

Someone of Facebook said that they grow 43 leaves before flowering, but I think that is Musa rather than Ensete. I had a rough count up of the leaves and in 2008 it seemed to have 8, in 2009 another 15, 2010 approx another 15 and in 2011 so far has 18 :shock: I make that 56 leaves approx so far. However I will have to take extra care when cutting back to move it. The last thing I want to do is hack through a flower stem :ahhh!: I have done this with basjoo before :(
Attachments
2011-11-23 14-33-04 Ensete Montbeliardii new leaf opens.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

A recently opened up leaf as well by the looks of things dave. :) Glad to see its still growing nicely outdoors. Would you not like to cut off the flower stem off when it produces one to stop the beast from dying? Or don't you mind starting all over again from pup? I do gather these die once flowered and then pup? Again it looks stunning. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote: I do gather these die once flowered and then pup? Again it looks stunning. icon_thumleft
No, San, they die once flowered, no pupping naturally. You only get pups if the growth point is damaged before flowering. I don't know exactly what point it loses the ability to pup. It may be before seed sets or as soon as the flower stem starts to form.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

So what will be your plan of action dave? grow from seed once they have been produced or buy a new ensete 'Montbeliardii'?
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

2012 update required please :DD
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Hi all been a while since I last posted but I thought you might like to see how my largest 'Montbeliardii''s looking.Lifted at the end of Noverber potted up and kept at min 12+c.First photo is just after lifting
image.jpg
This photo 3 months after lifting
image.jpg
Always amazed by these plants as I lift and remove most of the roots and a plant this size had lots of fat roots and it just picks it's self up and gets growing again my favourite Banana by miles :D