Musa Dwarf Cavendish

CW01

Musa Dwarf Cavendish

Post by CW01 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 pm

I bought a Dwarf Cavendish from Lidl the trunk is 20cm long and it has two small pups.Can anybody tell me how tall this variety will grow? as this is the first time i have grown this one. Many thanks
Carl : icon_thumleft
Attachments
D Cav.jpg
Regards Carl

mushtaq86

Re: Musa Dwarf Cavendish

Post by mushtaq86 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:35 pm

A p-stem on a dwrf cav can reach 6 to 8 feet that does not include the leaves,hope you have a tall greenhouse or conservatory,if you want it to fruit,its cold tolerance is very poor you can only have it out side between end of may to mid September,you wont be able to put it on hold or it just dies, needs to be kept growing. :roll:

CW01

Post by CW01 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Many thanks Mush i shall keep it in the lounge this winter you say about fruits are they edible?
Regards Carl

grub

Post by grub » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Dwarf Cavendish are Canary Island Bananas if you were buying them in a shop icon_thumright , of course, you are looking at a plant between 12 and 15ft high though
Eats, shoots and leaves The most viewed garden IN THE WORLD!!! lol http://www.facebook.com/GrubsJungleHideout

mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:06 pm

CW01 wrote:Many thanks Mush i shall keep it in the lounge this winter you say about fruits are they edible?
its a edible cultivator,like grub said including the leaves you are looking between 12-15ft before it fruits and you will need a very large pot as well,unless you have the space its unrealistic to get fruit.Super dwarf cav is the one you want if its fruit your after the plant will not get taller than six feet including leaves, musa dwarf orinoco is a good contender for fruit,maybe musa rajapuri as well.