Blechnum Chilense

chrissmith44x

Blechnum Chilense

Post by chrissmith44x »

Hi all,

Anyone grow this?
Can it survive our winters?

I sprinckled the spores over four posts of seed compost and they are in a warmish room (but not in sunlight)

is this ok?

ideas for improving my chances?

Chris
Vagetarian

Re: Blechnum Chilense

Post by Vagetarian »

I think it's best to sterilise first but you could be OK.

Seal the pots in sandwich bags or something to keep the humidity up.
chrissmith44x

Post by chrissmith44x »

Brilliant,

I poured boiling water over the compost a few hours before sprinking the spores

and the seedling window silly tray i have comes with a clear lid which keeps humidity up.

sounds like I have a chance of growing my first plants!

do they thrive in the UK or?
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Sounds good!

I don't know much about ferns but this one has an AGM from the RHS, who also say it's hardy so it should do well.

I was almost tempted to try growing some fern spores a while ago. If you succeed you might just convince me to have a go so let us know how you get on! :)
chrissmith44x

Post by chrissmith44x »

Will do :)

i literally have never grown anything before so, if can do it anyone can
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

So long as you do it right (and you have viable seeds of course) it's all easy and very rewarding! :D

PS - I dunno if this is true for fern sporelings but you probably needn't bother with any seed composts. B&Q multi purpose (purple bag) is about the best for seedlings, cuttings and young plants in general. And it's a lot cheaper! This is according to Which magazine. :)
chrissmith44x

Post by chrissmith44x »

Good to know.

Cheers :)
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hi Chris
I think starting things from seed is one of the best ways to go for an inexperienced grower. Its nice to be able to spend hundreds of pounds on established plants but its an expensive way of learning from any mistakes!
It sounds like you've done your research, so now its all down to time and patience icon_thumright