Dicksonia pot support.

karl66

Dicksonia pot support.

Post by karl66 »

I've reppoted the above into a big 60litre pot & even though it came out the old one with a nice solid rootball its been moving slightley as its nearly 9ft in the pot. I have got some chocks of wood and built a brace around it, similar to what you see around big palms in pots. Will this do damage pressed against the trunk long term or shall i just leave it on for a few wks till it steadys itself. karl.
Tom2006

Re: Dicksonia pot support.

Post by Tom2006 »

If its moving about in the pot itself then it probably needs to be deeper in the pot OR in a bigger pot or probably both. I have all of mine in 70 litre tubs (the ones with handles) and they are so heavy I have never had a problem, I also plant them about 10-12" deep. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Tom2006 wrote:If its moving about in the pot itself then it probably needs to be deeper in the pot OR in a bigger pot or probably both. I have all of mine in 70 litre tubs (the ones with handles) and they are so heavy I have never had a problem, I also plant them about 10-12" deep. icon_thumleft
Tom, the pots you use, are they the ones that the big palms come in?. Also i think i may well plant this out in the spring as i dont fancy lumping it in & out all the time. My rear extension looks like an exotic showroom :lol: . karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes the large black ones. I surround them in the thin bamboo screen and they do a great job and allows me to move them easily. can't lose anymore.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.