How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post Reply
Kristen
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Kristen » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:57 pm

I bought a Cyathea Medullaris in the 50% off sale at Amulree.

Reading up it seems unlikely that it will survive outside; I have ample room in the unheated conservatory over winter - even at -16C last Winter the conservatory only just hit 0C

If it is going to be in a pot how big a pot do I need? Its currently in a 10L pot (but looks like its been there a while, so probably ready for potting on).

Can I just plunge the pot outside for the Summer? (rather than plant & dig up)

What sort of mix for the compost? I have read "plenty of humus" - can I incorporate some well rotted manure with multi-purpose, and rough bark for drainage, or am I thinking this wrongly?

Many thanks.
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog


GREVILLE
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 am
Location: South London

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by GREVILLE » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I can't see a problem with it being kept containerized as long as its watering needs can be met.

Mine went short on water while I was away for over a month and I lost it. (My only other casualty was also a fern - Blechnum gibbum.)


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Tom2006 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:40 am

I got one from the last Amulree sale the other month. I have potted it in a deep 25-30 pot. I used a good multipurpose compost mixed with some handfuls of bark chip, ericaceous compost and some perlite. I water it virtually every day and its putting out some fronds now. I will be putting it in my shed when mild frosts are forecast and if it turns very cold my heated polyhouse will come out and it will go in there.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


greendragon
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: South Wales Valleys

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by greendragon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:37 pm

How big are the fronds on yours? My one from Mulu must have 4-5ft long fronds lol : )

put it into a 40litre pot of JI3 with perlite
2012 Highest Temp - May 24th: 27*C / 25th July: 28*c
2012 Lowest Temp - Febuary 3rd: -6*C
2013 Highest Temp - 13th July: 30*c
2013 Lowest Temp - 13th March -4.5*c.


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Tom2006 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Mine must easily be 4'!! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


Kristen
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Kristen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Thought I had a photo of mine ... turns out not (yet). I reckon its 4' - 5' - which is what attracted me to it. There were some skinny trunk'd tree ferns "just in" when I was there - £90-a-foot ... something special, although not sure quite what :)
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog


Half Hardy
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: cornwall

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Half Hardy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Kristen wrote:Thought I had a photo of mine ... turns out not (yet). I reckon its 4' - 5' - which is what attracted me to it. There were some skinny trunk'd tree ferns "just in" when I was there - £90-a-foot ... something special, although not sure quite what :)
I am on their mailing list.They sent out an email to say they were getting some cyathea dealbata(silver back to the fronds) in.Thats what i would call special :D


User avatar
brendan
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: peterborough

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by brendan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 am

Kristen wrote:I bought a Cyathea Medullaris in the 50% off sale at Amulree.

Reading up it seems unlikely that it will survive outside; I have ample room in the unheated conservatory over winter - even at -16C last Winter the conservatory only just hit 0C

If it is going to be in a pot how big a pot do I need? Its currently in a 10L pot (but looks like its been there a while, so probably ready for potting on).

Can I just plunge the pot outside for the Summer? (rather than plant & dig up)

What sort of mix for the compost? I have read "plenty of humus" - can I incorporate some well rotted manure with multi-purpose, and rough bark for drainage, or am I thinking this wrongly?

Many thanks.
Some interesting stuff here http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... f=2&t=7266


Kristen
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Kristen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 am

Half Hardy wrote:I am on their mailing list.They sent out an email to say they were getting some cyathea dealbata(silver back to the fronds) in.Thats what i would call special :D
There is some chatter about the import of Cyathea medullaris, dealbata and cunninghamii here:
http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... f=2&t=7215
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog


Post Reply