New Fern

kata

New Fern

Post by kata »

On my way back from a visit to someone this big guy was at my door,

OMG, I did'nt expect it yet much less know which end is which. Not feeling well this week so please help me out. I need to know which is top or bottom.

To me its just a log, anything heavier and I would have needed the help of my son.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Thanks for any help, its lunchtime see you all Laterzzzz
logmarch2013.jpg
RogerBacardy

Re: New Fern

Post by RogerBacardy »

The end on the right, by the newspaper is the top, that's where the croziers will emerge from.

I'd get it upright, put in a pot, maybe burying the bottom 6 inches so it's stable, give it a drink and leave it somewhere frost-free.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Ooooh lucky you Kata :D not giving advice as RogerB allready has, just wanted to say, Im excited for you icon_cheers
kata

Post by kata »

Its in a pot as we speak...no compost till tomorrow.

I think I figured out once I checked both ends... :lol: :lol: One end has like sticks, the other I believe are croziers where a fern will appear.

Many thanks Rog!!

Probably buy a new pot tomorrow it was for this Dee I asked about pots yesterdayI thought I would have time to sort one but Seagroves beat me.

Get excited when it gets a fern Dee.... icon_cheers
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Congratulation Kata! Glad to see you've got one at last! I had never seen a real one till I went to Seagraves myself. I got three of them and I love them :D Wait till the fronds start growing.I cannot believe how huge they get.I am having to duck under them to get to my other plants so I can water them.They are in the conservatory and I did not want them to grow so quick, but a bit of sunshine on the odd days have seen them really take off.Don't forget to take lots of pictures :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Congrats Kata...looks like a nice fern!! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Looks just the same Kata as the smallest one I bought, and I have got just the spot in mind for it. I can see this being one of your favourite plants as they are definately one of mine, good luck hope it grows really well for you.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks everyone,

Got the compost, the fern is outside but under fleece at night, seems ok.

I think its not a bad log size for £30.00 as long as its not only log... :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers icon_cheers
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

kata wrote: I think its not a bad log size for £30.00 as long as its not only log... :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers icon_cheers
:lol:

Nice one Kata icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Gray!!

Its still under fleece at night. Quite a sunny day today which should do it good.

icon_cheers
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Nice buy Kata, I'm sure that will become one of your favourite plants as they are fascinating to watch unfurl and then absolutely stunning when fronded.
kata

Post by kata »

When can we plant out DB?

Thanks for the nice comment too.
icon_cheers
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hows your TF doing Kata? You got a bargain there mind icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

kata wrote:When can we plant out DB?

Thanks for the nice comment too.
icon_cheers
Sorry Kata I didn't see your Q.
When it warms up, after any threats of frost have passed....so, probably around August 2014 :roll: :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Hows your TF doing Kata?
Hi Dee, its doing fine thanks. Like us all its lacking sun... :mrgreen:

Hi DB,
When it warms up, after any threats of frost have passed....so, probably around August 2014 :roll:
:lol: :lol: lets not tempt fate... :lol: