When to plant out tree fern

ourarka

When to plant out tree fern

Post by ourarka »

I bought a 1' Dicksonia antarctica in the sales last autumn and have kept it outside, in a pot of MP compost, in a shady spot all winter. It's not showing signs of growth yet but otherwise appears healthy. Just wondered if it was appropriate to plant out in its final position yet ..... or should I be waiting a while?
kata

Re: When to plant out tree fern

Post by kata »

I got mine before the real heat started, about mid - May and then planted it some two weeks later after resting it.

I believe they can take a couple of degrees of frost, and its still mild. I bought a plastic set of three cloches and I have one on top of my Fern secured by a medium pebble, it comes off during the day.

HTH

icon_cheers
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I'm not so worried about frost as we have very few here, and it will be under a canopy. More thinking about soil temperature ... though it's been outside in a pot so presumably that will be just as cold?
kata

Post by kata »

Your right, pots will be cold,

If you could upturn the whole pot and somehow knock out the Fern complete then that would limit the shock of planting to the roots.

It will be heavy Ourarka. I tried lifting mine last winter, not a chance its well rooted.

Good luck!

icon_cheers
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

If it's a recent import, it probably doesn't have very much in the way of roots yet anyway, so if you're sure you aren't going to get any wintry weather,and this year being so mild so far, you might as well plant it out.

Just keep an eye on any adverse changes to the weather and be prepaired for frost etc..
At the very least you're not going to damage any future emerging fronds by doing it now [so long as you remove it carefully]. :wink:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Agree with Nigel - mine went out on Saturday.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would plant it, have some fleece to one side just incase of a frost to put in the crown.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

I got a 14 inch one just before Xmas for £15 from home base in the sale.
It's in a pot of multi purpose compost at the minute, checked it today in GH and it's still got no roots is this normal?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mowgley wrote:I got a 14 inch one just before Xmas for £15 from home base in the sale.
It's in a pot of multi purpose compost at the minute, checked it today in GH and it's still got no roots is this normal?
It will eventually root, don't disturb it, keep the plant and soil moist.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

I was going to plant it out this year if it had roots.
Would it be still possible to plant it direct in the soil this spring?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mowgley wrote:I was going to plant it out this year if it had roots.
Would it be still possible to plant it direct in the soil this spring?
Yes, i would put some compost in the bottom of the hole.
kata

Post by kata »

And poo pellets round the base.

icon_cheers
multim

Post by multim »

I have one about 4 feet which I bought cheaply last year. I have kept it frost free over the Winter. As it is producing new fronds, I won't be planting it out until the end of May. Okay, it has been mild but cooler weather is due early next week and it won't take too much frost to damage new growth.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Should be fine outside. Mine have been out all winter with just some fleece in the crown when we had the odd frost. Big problem this time of year is them drying out so don't forget to water.....unless an air frost is forcast
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

After the last frost, which I think will have been late November 2013.