Is this dead ?

Re: Is this dead ?

Postby fieldfest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:06 am

later in the year when its warmed up, try the 'leave in a bucket of water for a week' method shown here: http://jungleplantsdiary.blogspot.co.uk ... oluta.html

mine came back after a year with no fronds
fieldfest

Postby simpleton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks all.

Yes field fest, I've heard about that before and will have to give it a go later in the year if it's still going. I've just taken it out of the pot and the roots look fine (as far as I can tell - they're plump, firm and look alive). I've repotted it in a plastic pot (for easy moving around) so hopefully the damage is just superficial. Fingers crossed that your theory is right blairs and it's just frost burn. Here are the roots.

simpleton

Postby Chez » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Simpleton; are you going to give it the monsoon flood treatment when its warm enough?

I think I have kept my cycad too dry in the past. A few years ago it flushed when I kept it wetter. Mine is in a heated outbuilding at the moment so I thought I would try and get it flushing while its in the warmth. I have just bought a 50cm plastic plant pot dish so I can make sure its very wet for a week or so. The pot is too big t stand in a bucket. Fingers crossed mine will revive, fingers crossed for yours too. I don't fancy digging mine out of the tub.
Chez

Postby simpleton » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Good luck !

I've had mine for two years. I bought them in a supermarket and they immediately got badly sunburnt as they were obviously not used to the sun. Then last year they both flushed and I had been watering them a fair amount although not excessively. I kept them fairly dry over the winter. Now that they've been transplanted into plastic pots, I'll be able to immerse them quite easily. I'll wait for a forecast of good weather for a week or so, then immerse them.

I'll post back here with the result. Fingers crossed for yours.
simpleton

Postby Nigel Fear » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 pm

paulrm71 wrote:If the caudex is still firm you may be ok. I nursed one back to health looking similar to yours, although it took a couple of years to look reasonable. Yours looks like it's been planted too deep?

Definitely planted too deep, sound advice Paul, regarding long recovery period too.
Nigel Fear

Postby simpleton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Just an update on this. It's alive & well and now flushing. There are 10 new fronds emerging :D

simpleton

Postby Chez » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:19 pm

So pleased for you! I haven't seen much action from mine. I thought I saw a bit of growth starting to come out of the top but not much happening.
Chez

Postby simpleton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks Chez. Have you immersed yours in water ? With this hot weather it might give it the kick start it needs. I didn't immerse mine but did water it religiously which seems to have worked.
simpleton

Postby Chez » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:22 pm

simpleton wrote:Thanks Chez. Have you immersed yours in water ? With this hot weather it might give it the kick start it needs. I didn't immerse mine but did water it religiously which seems to have worked.

We tried to simulate this by standing it on a 'saucer', leaving it to stand in the saucer of water and waterlogging it. We did this in spring while it was still warm in the heated outbuilding. Its too big and heavy to submerge, the pot is very large and very heavy. We are keeping it as wet as the pot will hold without draining out now, its the best we can do.
Chez

Postby simpleton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 pm

The progression of this plant leaves me wondering something. This is the plant I cut right back. It has good, strong growth with 10 new fronds.

This is the other plant. It was damaged, but I knew it had survived OK and I didn't trim it back. However, although it now has new fronds emerging, there are only 5 and its new growth is later than the other one. So my question is - is it better to cut off damaged fronds and does the act of cutting them off stimulate new growth ?

simpleton

Postby Rob S » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 pm

simpleton wrote:
This is the other plant. It was damaged, but I knew it had survived OK and I didn't trim it back. However, although it now has new fronds emerging, there are only 5 and its new growth is later than the other one. So my question is - is it better to cut off damaged fronds and does the act of cutting them off stimulate new growth ?

[ Image ]

Yes and yes! Put it out in full sun, keep it moist and as it flushes make sure not to move it until it has finished so as not to distort the new leaves!
Rob S

Postby simpleton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:49 am

Rob S wrote:
simpleton wrote:

[ Image ]

Yes and yes! Put it out in full sun, keep it moist and as it flushes make sure not to move it until it has finished so as not to distort the new leaves!

Thanks. But presumably cutting it back now is too late to encourage a further flush ?
simpleton

Postby kata » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Just what I was going to advise as well Rob.. :lol:
Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://flowersnpalms.com/lancalass/

http://flowersnpalms.com/bluenwhite/
kata

Previous

Return to Palms (including Cycads and Cordyline)