CHAMAEROPS SPEAR PULL

outatime1978

CHAMAEROPS SPEAR PULL

Post by outatime1978 »

:x went around the garden yesterday in the hurricane checking the plants as you do,just happened to tug on the spears on 3 of my chamys and they came out,still green but mushy looking on the end of the stem,will they be okay?,the palms appear to look a healthy greenish colour and 2 are quite big and bushy with lots of leafs! any advice!! :(
redsquirrel

Re: CHAMAEROPS SPEAR PULL

Post by redsquirrel »

chammies do odd things,lots come back and quite quickly too yet others ive seen,have pulled the main spear yet suckers stay ok.saw a few basket cases last year but dont give up on yours,important thing now is to keep the hole as dry as possible,a perspex sheet on a basic frame over the top will do it.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

thanks for the advice,i will try something,maybe this WIND will help... :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

sorry to read about your chamerops spear pull. that happened to mine back in 1987 during a big freeze up. they were only about three feet in height back then ;but went on that summer to make a full recovery . its never been as cold as that in southampton since that year although last winter came very close . even after last december they have had no problem . they are now about 8 feet high and in perfect condition.so don,t give up on them but be better prepared next winter .
good luck . billdango. icon_study icon_thumleft
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

thanks billdango :D i am convident they will be fine...lets hope :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

your chammie pull and my Trachycarpus pull. Hmm, Do you think the east midlands had it bad this winter or what? :roll:
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

its strange the chamy that pulled was a new purchase from a garden centre about a month ago,so the spears may have already been loose from the nov-dec artic spell as it was ouside at the rear of the garden centre under a big canopy where the shade plants live :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Shame a new plant has pulled already. I'm not risking buying anything until I see it growing in April/may as I just don't trust where they have been kept over winter. Even my local exotic place has lost plants undercover!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

i got mine in that last mild spell,got a bit eager,i guess if i had'nt have tugged on the spears i would not have known as they were still all green,never experienced spear pull before!! must have been those -10c temps or more at the garden centre as more open space..

:lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I brought my chamerop inside last night as when i got home from work i see it wobbling on the path with the force of the wind and the pot is ceramic so didn't want it to smash. I'm glad i did in the end as my neighbours 10ft trampoline was sent flying from one end of his garden to the other. :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

outatime1978 wrote:i got mine in that last mild spell,got a bit eager,i guess if i had'nt have tugged on the spears i would not have known as they were still all green,never experienced spear pull before!! must have been those -10c temps or more at the garden centre as more open space..

:lol: :lol:
they probably dragged it under cover after seeing other stuff dead from that november blast. if it was expensive,id pop in and ask if there is anything they will do about it.
i was tempted by a half price brahea last sunday,left it there even though the manager said he would gaurantee it for 12 months
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
dino

Post by dino »

sanatic1234 wrote:your chammie pull and my Trachycarpus pull. Hmm, Do you think the east midlands had it bad this winter or what? :roll:
Not just the east San, I'd say the whole of the Midlands
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'd say the whole country. :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

yep i would have to agree on that one. lets hope its all over with now.