butia spear pull

Simba

Re: butia spear pull

Post by Simba »

redsquirrel wrote:i'd georges waggies are the best you can get over here icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
I definately not be complaining about my Waggie from George, nor the Jubaea Chilensis from him either...

Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Butia spear pull is an indicator that some form of intervention is required more often than not. By the time Butia normally begins growing in Spring, the damaged spear may have developed fungal infection and rot will proceed downward into the crown. As a precaution a fungicide can be used saving the growth point (overhead canopy helps too). Fortunatly Trachycarpus fortunei start growing much earlier and any damage doesn't have the chance to works it's way into the growing point. You can ignore a spear pull if you choose, but you run the risk of further damage once the rot race is on.

Cheers, Barrie.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

I've had Butia spear pull, followed by no progress for almost a year, and then healthy growth. But, the plant in question had about 10 very healthy-looking fronds which had only minor damage, and no obvious mushiness in the trunk.

I suggest - before you bin a plant, consider the health of the whole plant. If it has lots of nice green fronds, firm petioles, and a good root system then it can continue to make energy from sunlight, which should eventually lead to new growth, even if the spear has been pulled. If on the other hand the fronds are all scorched, no green colour left anywhere, and then if you de-pot it the roots are all soft and falling apart then it's time for the compost bin.

I've pulled about 20 spears in the last week and every one of them had rot in its stem. Leaving the rot in place would risk rotting the whole crown and then it really is bye-bye. Pulling the spear allows the air to get in - even better if you can apply some peroxide or fungicide.