Coconut palm.

Las Palmas Norte

Coconut palm.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I bought one of these last year as an impulse buy. Reports suggested it was very difficult to over winter even indooors, requiring high light and humidity as well as good temps.
Here it is today outside for the first time since last October for a bit of fresh air and sunshine.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Coconut 002b.jpg
Coconut 004b.jpg
Coconut 005b.jpg
Adrian

Re: Coconut palm.

Post by Adrian »

You have done well to keep it so long Barrie icon_salut
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

well done,its growing icon_thumleft
funny things,you see the huge seed and think it must be tough as old boots. bet theres loads of us would love to grow one for a bit longer than they last
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Do-able then Barrie, looks great icon_cheers I'm sure there was someone else on the forum who had kept one for a couple of years and still going, can't remember who it was now though. Ultimate plant.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

What a beauty! :D Ive had two in the past both started dying as asoon as i got them home :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

thats a good specimen of cocos nucifera.i managed to keep one growing for two years once and it got to about four foot high. they seem to need an average daily temperature of about +30c to grow well.an almost impossible dream in u k .still it,s an interesting novelty for us gardeners in the north to grow i suppose ,enjoy it while you can but don,t get to attachedto it . rgds billdango. :) :) :) :)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

That one looks stockier than the fast grown, hot house, stretched specimens we get in the DIY sheds over here... I am sure that makes all the difference.

If we had ones for sale like Barrie has I'm sure they would be a little easier to keep icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well done Barrie, and you've had snow this winter at times as well, so what is your secret on these. :?:

They grow on the southern side of the Canary Islands which have temps down to 10C with Max 17 to 23C but obviously 23 degrees higher sun than we get this far north. The major difference would appear to be humidity, which is 60 to 90% rather than 30 to 50% in a centrally heated house.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Dave Brown wrote:Well done Barrie, and you've had snow this winter at times as well, so what is your secret on these. :?:
Well it certainly wasn't outside during winter :lol:
I had it in a southern window where temps rarely dropped below 69°F. I didn't water it more than 3 times I'd bet during the past 5 months but I did shower the fronds periodicly. This kept dust off and the threat of mites. I did have some scale which was fairly easy to remove. I guess I didn't really fuss over it too much but I was diligent about any insect infestation. I just checked the indoor humidity and it's 72%.
It'll go back outside once the night temps stay above 50°F / 10°C. In the meantime, out on nice days.

Cheers, Barrie.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Nathan wrote:That one looks stockier than the fast grown, hot house, stretched specimens we get in the DIY sheds over here... I am sure that makes all the difference.

If we had ones for sale like Barrie has I'm sure they would be a little easier to keep icon_thumleft

I thought the same Nathan and I found a really good stocky Cocos nucifera at the Palm Centre years ago, it didnt even have the coconut attached so was actually rooted but still I couldnt get enough heat into it.

Those with the attached coconut are taking food from the seed and have probably just about used everything up by the time we get to see them.

Like I always say, they are cheap and make a nice short lived houseplant, cheaper and longer lasting than a bunch of flowers.
Las Palmas Norte

Adrian wrote:Like I always say, they are cheap and make a nice short lived houseplant, cheaper and longer lasting than a bunch of flowers.
Tell that to the Mrs on your anniversary :lol:

Cheers, Barrie.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ah she gets her fair share of cut flowers so no problem there :wink:
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

G'day coconuts do well with an average annual temp of 26c plus but saying this that doesn't mean they won't grow in cooler clims. You will never get fruit on it. They stop growing at 21c but can take temps at lot lower. Here in Brisbane last dry season we had some rare lows of 5c and the coconut I have was fine. Although we have highs of 22c - 27c in winter here. My point is in a sheltered sunny position u could put ur coconut outside even in winter. As long as ur temps are no lower then say 2c. Coconuts grow here in areas that do experience frost on a few nights with lows to -2c and they seem to be fine. They fruit etc. But in the uk where frost is harder and longer I would never leave it out over night. U just gotta shelter it from cold winds and spray to get high humidity.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Puremagick3 wrote:we have highs of 22c - 27c in winter here.
Trouble is, we have highs of 22c in summer here :wink:
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

Yeah I understand ur summers are normally colder then our winters but that's why I said that it will never fruit, but given alot of care and attention your coconut palm will have a healthy and happy life. Will grow extremely slow and ur never be able to put it in the garden perm but will make a great seasonal addition to ur garden.