Roystonea regia (cuban royal palm)

Puremagick3

Roystonea regia (cuban royal palm)

Post by Puremagick3 »

Has anyone over there attempted to grow one of this great palms? If so what luck did u have. I am curious cos naturally they grow great over here but what's ur success rate there?
MikeC

Re: Roystonea regia (cuban royal palm)

Post by MikeC »

No chance I would have thought.

As a large houseplant or in a tall conservatory possibly.
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

Would be interesting to know how long they would last etc. Over here they are extremely fast growers. Normalling growing about a meter a year when established (around the same speed as Alexandra palms).
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've always regarded it as the same league as the Coconut, a difficult to keep house plant, so have never tried. I concentrate on the more hardy to borderline stuff that in good years stands a chance outside here.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Puremagick3 »

So pretty much a no goer. I guess I am just interest to know what palms and tropicals grow well over there. It's my interest that makes me curious.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Puremagick3 wrote:So pretty much a no goer. I guess I am just interest to know what palms and tropicals grow well over there. It's my interest that makes me curious.
Roystonea regia, Wont even grow in New Zealand ~ needs more heat than we can give it.
EDIT: - Can be grown, to my surprise in the mildest and sunniest areas of the North Island of New Zealand.
Last edited by Rod on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I intend to try this as a potted specimen. I will be bringing one back from the Canary Islands later this summer. I figure if I can overwinter young Adonidia, Archontophoenix, Areca, Dictyosperma and Hyophorbe I should have the same success with this.
Rod

Post by Rod »

GREVILLE wrote:I intend to try this as a potted specimen. I will be bringing one back from the Canary Islands later this summer. I figure if I can overwinter young Adonidia, Archontophoenix, Areca, Dictyosperma and Hyophorbe I should have the same success with this.
Hi Greville - It is easy to over winter archontophoenix as it can tolerate cooler temps well during winter in a conservatory or greenhouse, but R. Regia will not tolerate low temps and you will have to heat your conservatory or greenhouse for it to survive.
During the winter in your greenhouse, it would need 16°c min, during the day and no less than about 8°c during the night. Otherwise it will deteriorate over time, then eventually die.
It is a true tropical palm and only grows successfully in a Sub-tropical to full-tropical climate.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi, Rod.

Thanks for the info. I can certainly keep the Royal in the conditions you describe. All my tropical palm seedlings stay in a 'hot box' overwinter (Polystyrene fish boxes linked by a heated cable do a great job.) The older palms come in from the greenhouse before winter to be grouped in a sunny window in the house or ferried a hundred yards away to my boys' school where they sit in heated halls and classrooms.

Seeds of Roystonea failed to germinate last autumn so I intend to bring back a young plant I know about when I return from the Canary islands at the end of Summer. They have magnificent specimens there and I'm an avid collector of anything I can stuff into my suitcase and bring home :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi, Rod.

Thanks for the info. I can certainly keep the Royal in the conditions you describe. All my tropical palm seedlings stay in a 'hot box' overwinter (Polystyrene fish boxes linked by a heated cable do a great job.) The older palms come in from the greenhouse before winter to be grouped in a sunny window in the house or ferried a hundred yards away to my boys' school where they sit in heated halls and classrooms.

Seeds of Roystonea failed to germinate last autumn so I intend to bring back a young plant I know about when I return from the Canary islands at the end of Summer. They have magnificent specimens there and I'm an avid collector of anything I can stuff into my suitcase and bring home :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

GREVILLE wrote:Hi, Rod.

I love the cuban royal as well, its a beautiful palm.
targui

Post by targui »

I am in Tauranga New Zealand, have a north facing property on a slope. I do not get frost. I have three
Roystonea Regia's at the front of my property. They have
been in eight years, one is 8 meters high the other two are 7 and 6 meters. All are in volcanic soil. Tauranga
has high sunshine hours and is six hundred kilometers
north of Rod's location in Christchurch. The climate
here is warm temperate with sub tropical elements. i
think Roystonea species would struggle to establish
anywhere in the U.K. due to the high latitude. However
it would be worth trying in a sheltered micro climate
near the coast on light friable soil that does not hold
excess water and is free draining. High sunshine hours
are a must, they like sun in spades, taking it from the
seedling stage without burning. Dypsis Ambositrae
grows well here also and is fast growing, I think it is
hardier than Roystonea.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Targui icon_thumright
Rod

Post by Rod »

targui wrote:I am in Tauranga New Zealand, have a north facing property on a slope. I do not get frost. I have three
Roystonea Regia's at the front of my property. They have
been in eight years, one is 8 meters high the other two are 7 and 6 meters. All are in volcanic soil. Tauranga
has high sunshine hours and is six hundred kilometers
north of Rod's location in Christchurch. The climate
here is warm temperate with sub tropical elements. i
think Roystonea species would struggle to establish
anywhere in the U.K. due to the high latitude. However
it would be worth trying in a sheltered micro climate
near the coast on light friable soil that does not hold
excess water and is free draining. High sunshine hours
are a must, they like sun in spades, taking it from the
seedling stage without burning. Dypsis Ambositrae
grows well here also and is fast growing, I think it is
hardier than Roystonea.
Hi Targui please upload Photos of these Roystonea regias ( I must see this )
I am very surprised by this as Tauranga's mean temps are even lower than Aucklands
Any colder and i am sure they would deteriorate. Many people have tried to grow these in the north island without success.
Ben in Waimarama has tried and failed.
Have a look at the temps Tauranga vs Napier, which is very similar to Bens climate

Tauranga > can be grown here
Hottest month: 23.8°c / 14.7°c ( mean = 19.25°c )
Coldest month: 14.3°c / 5.2°c ( mean = 9.75°c )
Sunshine: 2256 hrs ( 1.3 hrs more sun per week )
Rainfall: 1198 mm ( 7.6 mm more rain per week )

Napier > cannot be grown here
Hottest month: 24.4°c / 14.5°c ( mean = 19.45°c )
Coldest month: 14.0°c / 4.4°c ( mean = 9.20°c )
Sunshine: 2188 hrs
Rainfall: 802 mm

Which tells me that Roystonea regias are on the bottom limit of there temp range in Tauranga
I would love to be able to grow these Palms like you, but unfortunately my climate has too many heavy frosts.
This is what we can grow in Christchurch

Washingtonia robusta ( Hardy )
Livistona australis ( Hardy )
Livistona chinensis ( Hardy )
Brahea Armata ( Hardy )
Phoenix canariensis ( Hardy )
Butia capitata ( Hardy )
Trachycarpus fortunei ( Hardy )
Chamaerops humilis ( Hardy )
Parajubaea torallyii ( Hardy )
Jubaea chilensis ( Hardy )
Chamaedorea microspadix ( Hardy )