fishtail palms.

billdango

fishtail palms.

Post by billdango »

i visited haskins nursery in southampton today and saw for sale three 5 foot caryota mitis palms . these were in magnificent condition ,not covered in those dreadfull scale insects or streched by forced growing conditions. they were priced at £99.99 pounds each ,and well worth it . thought i would let everyone know .
rgds ,billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Adrian

Re: fishtail palms.

Post by Adrian »

Yes I saw them up at Haskins, nice plants.
billdango

Post by billdango »

iff we wait long enough adrian maybe the same plants will turn up at the range or b&q at a third the price of haskins ???.we can live in hope .
rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

3 or 4 years back the Range in town were selling 6 foot Ravenea rivularis and 6 foot Syagrus romanzoffiana's, that shocked me and they were good palms.
I think the Gosport branch had them as well.

Im not a lover of Caryota mitis but the variegated one is nice, I had hundreds of seeds sent over from Thailand and handed them out to loads of people at meets last year.
Unfortunately I only had one that showed the right variegation out of probably a hundred seeds that I sowed myself.
I must have given all the good ones away :(

Dave B has at least one of them, not sure how many others managed to get good variegated seedlings.
billdango

Post by billdango »

yes i remember those plants . they all died after a few weeks due to lack of watering and basic care . i think a few were sold but not that many .
rgds ,billdango. :( :( :( :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I particularly like the variegated Caryota mitis I have.... Thanks Ade via Redsquirrel. icon_thumright Now started to grow it's 4th leaf 16 months from germination.
Attachments
2010-11-05 09-01 Caryota mitis variegata.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Thats much further ahead than mine Dave.
Paul Rose who sent me the seed said that they can revert at any time, lets hope not too soon.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im so pleased a good one turned up in safe hands.its easy for me to watch and admire on here. one way or another,im down to the one lasdt living plant here,its quite strong and healthy which is much further than i got with the rest. im growing it on the kitchen window sill which might be helping. horrible feeling i kept the rest too dry.Paul told me to give my indoor more tropical plants lots of warmth and water together.
since i did this ive had much better results and stronger plants. ive a brahea edulis im growing in the lounge,lots of water and the chunkiest first strapper ive had on one of these
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
billdango

Post by billdango »

thats a nice caryota dave ,but keep a sharp look out in case of scale insects .sometimes you don,t spot them till it,s to late ,and they just love fishtail palms ?.
targui

Post by targui »

This is a Cayota sp. Himalaya in my garden.
Attachments
014.jpg
014.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

I remember that Image of yours Dave, nice specimen :mrgreen:

And you targui, are a very lucky sugar.. :lol: :lol:

Now let me see the rest of that garden please.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Just a quick update on these fishtail palms?

At the West end,Southampton Branch of Haskins the fishtail palms mentioned earlier last year have been reduced to £69.99 and still seem okay.

I just had to tell someone?

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Did you get one Bill ?
billdango

Post by billdango »

Adrian wrote:Did you get one Bill ?
I would love to dave but I can't swing a ferret in this house and my garden is full up as well.

But these are in top condition as far as I could see and I know that for any forum member a great addition to any collection.

But hurry as there are only 3 left.

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Alright Trigger :lol: