palm tree,s in my front garden.

billdango

Re: palm tree,s in my front garden.

Post by billdango »

Rod wrote:Thanks for the Palm list Bill
forgot to include butia capitata 1 ? sorry ,billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
billdango

Post by billdango »

hi cordyman' to answer your two questions i first saw palm trees when i went on my first holiday to france.
the first place i stayed was in the city of pau in southwest france and it was here i saw t fortuni and c humilis in thousands.
it was some years after this that i started to notice the same types of palms growing in gardens in southampton.
but it was still many years before i was able to obtain any plants for myself,but thanks to finding out about the palm center in linconshire i was able to start a collection of my own in 1976.
my front garden is based on a similer garden in pau which is still there.
rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

p s the outside of the house is painted with the walls every 2 years .
i do it myself and it takes about 2 weeks depending on the weather?.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks Bill great story!

Fantastic planning and the palms have grown wonderfully around each other - Do you have any pics of the garden in Pau?

I'm painting the front and back of my house white when i'm off in August icon_cheers Any brand of paint you can reccomend?
billdango

Post by billdango »

cordyman wrote:Thanks Bill great story!

Fantastic planning and the palms have grown wonderfully around each other - Do you have any pics of the garden in Pau?

I'm painting the front and back of my house white when i'm off in August icon_cheers Any brand of paint you can reccomend?
i,m afraid not cordyman but iff i go back to pau in the next year or two i will try to get a picture .
in the meantime you can visit pau on google earth and see what i mean about this finest of palm cities [visit the boulevard des pyrennes] you will be amazed,one mile of cold hardy exotics.
when you have done this you will say [why can,t we do this in the uk?] maybe some city council will stand up and be the first.
as for the paint go to b&q and buy some cans of weathershield smooth white masonry paint at about £20 a can [5 litres a can i think? good luck.
rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

What palm is this Bill?

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Looks like the Brahea Armata to me, a magnificent specimen too.

;)
Ste

Post by Ste »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Looks like the Brahea Armata to me, a magnificent specimen too.

;)
I dont think thats a brahea armata. I could be wrong icon_scratch but I seen loads of big ones on holiday in Thailand and I have one myself and I think they look just like a w robusta but with blue leaves.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You might be right Ste, possibly a Cerifera.
billdango

Post by billdango »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Looks like the Brahea Armata to me, a magnificent specimen too.

;)
Sorry you are both wrong,its a very large leaved t fortuni i think?.
I planted it as a seed about 4 years ago that i bought in a job lot from the palm center in london.
It is pale white underneath and dark green on top but i still think its a t fortuni.
rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yep definitely a Trachycarpus. It has longer stems I guess due to being in a part shaded spot & nice undamaged leaves as it is so sheltered...
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It's a cracker that's for sure.

;)
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Was about to say it looks like a shade grown T fortunei. The smooth petioles rule out it being a chammy.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

billdango wrote:

;)
Sorry you are both wrong,its a very large leaved t fortuni i think?.
I planted it as a seed about 4 years ago that i bought in a job lot from the palm center in london.
It is pale white underneath and dark green on top but i still think its a t fortuni.
rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D

From a seed to that in 4 years! What do you feed it?

It has very 360 leaves appearance
kata

Post by kata »

Its a secret potion cordy....HAHAHAHA

I was looking again at Bill's early greeting, its a fantastic thread. I like the plant RedS said about keeping no marks away from Bill's garden.
The name 'Puya' was derived from the Mapuche Indian word meaning "point".
thos vandals would certainly get the point if Bill planted and they tried to vandalise....ouch!!!

:lol: :lol:
Attachments
Puya_berteroana.jpg
Puya_berteroana.jpg (194.52 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cracking Trachycarpus Bill, but no way that it's only 4 years from seed! Looks at least 6-8 years old.