Cool temp propagating

maritimesbob

Cool temp propagating

Post by maritimesbob »

Is there any success or theory in the idea that germinating Palms at lower temps can encourage the seedlings and eventually mature plants to be more hardy in later life?

I have read a few pieces on google where people have germinated various hardy palms at temperatures between 15 and 20C in the hope the plants will become more hardy in later life.

I am no expert on plants, but I suppose it may make a little sense that a seedling that has been germinated at 30C might struggle outdoors more than a seedling germinated at a lower temperature. That being said, I suppose one of the triggers for a seed germinating is high temperatures?

Anyone had success germinating Palm seeds at lower temperatures?

The general rule of thumb seems to be propagating them at 30C(ish) however many members on here report Trachycarpus Fortunei is quite happy germinating outdoors with no high temperatures.

Apologies if I`m rambling on, this is a bit of a learning curve for me :)

I currently have several seeds awaiting germination at temperatures between 17 and 20C. I soaked them for several days then placed them on damp vermiculite and enclosed them in see-through plastic containers. After two weeks, two Washingtonia Filifera have shown signs of germinating today, the other seeds (Trachycarpus F, Trachycarpus N, and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) I`m waiting on.
grub

Re: Cool temp propagating

Post by grub »

Have a look on Dave Ison's site http://www.davespalmpages.co.uk/