My Newest Aquisiton

earthworm 73

My Newest Aquisiton

Post by earthworm 73 »

I have always wanted a good sized Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and finally got one. This one looks like it could use some more nitrogen or epsom salt. There was another one at the nursery that was a little darker green but the poor thing was literally bursting out of the plastic pot and instead of re-potting it they sat it in a drip pan full of water. I figured it was stressed out and I would not be able to re-pot it for another week or so as I am super busy. I will probably keep up potting this one until it gets too big to bring inside the garage during cold rainy weather. Then I will have to put it in the ground somewhere on my small property. Our climate is similar to London's except yall are a 9A and I am a 8B and we avg. 10 inches more rain per year than London. Since the ones on the southcoast U.K. are mature and fruiting Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that thriving since being planted as small guys I hope to have this one for at least a decade if I do my part and protect during nasty winters.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll30 ... nix002.jpg
Trudytropics

Re: My Newest Aquisiton

Post by Trudytropics »

Good luck with it Earthworm, nice specimen, see what you mean about the colour slightly yellow but healthy looking still. I have 6, all will probably perish in the winter, I live in the North East so colder than London and further south. They are quite inexpensive to buy here and I have had a good display, so if lost in the winter I will replace next year. I have read here that they don't mind being wet so your climate sounds ok. Hopefully a decade from now you'll be admiring a lovely large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

thats the problem with Phoenix canariensis_CIDP over here, they're cheap summer bedding cos of not liking prolonged cold and wet winters :(
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Good to see you are giving this Phoenix a go! Looks like a fine specimen. You saw mine on the Cloudforest PNW board ya? I'll post a few more pics later on in September as it's really kickin' into high gear now. I'm watering it every day and the warm weather we're having, is fuel to the fire.

Cheers, Barrie.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Looks a nice palm EW. icon_thumright

Sitting in a drip tray full of water is the way to go. Phoenix canariensis loves it's feet in water all summer. They don't even mind sitting in water all winter provided the water doesn't freeze. Really drying out is what they don't like.

Unfortunately, the South Coast palms at Southsea, are not growing in a standard UK climate, and since they were planted the zone has been more like 9b or even 10. I used to be 9a for many years, but last 2 winters have firmly put me back in the 8's :( and my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP didn't make it.

You may do better as you are a lower latitude and have a summer to really get it growing if given enough water :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by earthworm 73 »

Thanks for the reply all.
Barrie I would love to see pics of your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.
Dave I think you mistook what I said about sitting in a tray of water. But thanks for the advice. Wish I could have know this when I first bought it home. Today I noticed one of the older frond tips are brown and crispy which I believe is the result of me not being able to provide it with enough water during this recent hot spell. As of a minute ago it is sitting in a pan of water. Don't know how much water will wick upward as some roots crowding the drain holes. Hope it helps.