Just planted a Trachycarpus

earthworm 73

Just planted a Trachycarpus

Post by earthworm 73 »

I just planted Trachycarpus in the ground for the first time in 2 years. It's my Nanaital sold to me as a t. takil. :roll: It did not seem like it was enjoying the potted life so I took mercy on it. I know it is late in the season to plant but it needed to get into the ground sooner rather than later to do it's thing. Plus we don't usually get a damaging frost until November and I am hoping for a 9A winter this year. I'm a little nervous because of my history with Trachycarpus in ground. Also I have heavy clay soil but it does seem to drain good (I hope). I planted it slightly above ground level just in case. I did not amend the soil other than a small amount of compost and bagged topsoil. I used no fertilizer other than a very small amount of feather meal(?). I am trusting you all after reading here that they don't mind heavy clay soil. This spot get full sun from about 9 am til about 3 or 4 pm then shade. Well we'll what happens from here. icon_shaking

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll30 ... naital.jpg
kata

Re: Just planted a Trachycarpus

Post by kata »

It looks ok at present EW,

Your much braver than I am. I did toy with the idea of planting it for winter, apparently they are safer in the ground in frost than in a pot....mine went into a bigger pot instead.

Good luck EW, we are after all due a decent winter if one exists.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Healthy specimen! I have a few Nanaital here as well.
You're going to wish you hadn't planted it so close to the wall. Are there any overhead obstructions? They do grow tall.

Cheers, Barrie.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

dont stress, nice looking Trachycarpus, a Trachycarpus is a Trachycarpus lol, give it 4 years, yo umustve heard the 3 yr palm rule, 1st year weeping, 2nd yr creeping 3rd yr leaping, is so true, 1st yr roots go down, 2nd yr the roots establish the 3rd yr and up it goes !
kata

Post by kata »

No I never heard that mixie,

Thanks. Its a pity we don't know how old the palms are when we buy them.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote:No I never heard that mixie,
Usually given as "1st year sleeping, 2nd year creeping, 3rd year leaping" :wink: and it applies to all trees, not just palms icon_thumright
earthworm 73

Post by earthworm 73 »

@Barrie yeah I realized it was kinda close to my house after I was done. Originally I wasn't going to plant it right then. It started out as me digging a hole to test the drainage at that spot which led to me digging a bigger hole then planting this thing. All about 1 hour before it was time for me to go to work. I plan to move it tomorrow hoepfully not push it deeper into shock. Hey Barrie do your nainitals look anything like mine?

@mixie yes I have heard of this. Too bad for ppl like me who have a slight issue with impatients when it comes to plants.
kata

Post by kata »

Like us all EW,

Ord trees you can count the rings of age, one ring...one year.

I best ask Michael where I bought it how old they are.

:lol: :lol:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

earthworm 73 wrote:@ Hey Barrie do your nainitals look anything like mine?
Here's a couple of mine. The first is a female (on the left of three planted), close to 9' tall and got mixed up with a male neighbor this spring so plenty of seeds. The second is much smaller and in a much different part of the garden.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
August-31-11 001b.jpg
August-31-11 003b.jpg
August-31-11 004b.jpg