UPDATE ON MY SYAGRUS ROMANZOFFIANUM.

billdango

UPDATE ON MY SYAGRUS ROMANZOFFIANUM.

Post by billdango »

Here is an update on my Syagrus Romanzoffianum.
As i mentioned on a post back in march this year i had planted out a large 6 foot Syagru Romanzoffianum.
This was planted in my side entrance which is well protected from cold winds and can get temperatures to as high as +40c in hot summers.
It has grown about one and a half leaves since then and has increased its hieght to about 8 feet.
I will of coarse wrap it well during cold spells and it will be interesting to see if i can get it through a cold winter.
A nice hot water bottle tucked in with the wrapping will help i hope?.
If it carks it i will replace it with a Washington robusta.
rgds Billdango. :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
100_2518.jpg
Las Palmas Norte

Re: UPDATE ON MY SYAGRUS ROMANZOFFIANUM.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

A guy I know in Charleston, South Carolina tried one like you. He used C7 old style Xmas bulbs during a cold snap and burnt the leaves somewhat from the heat that they gave off.
Best of luck with that one
:wink:

Cheers, Barrie.
Rod

Post by Rod »

billdango wrote:Here is an update on my Syagrus Romanzoffianum.
I will of coarse wrap it well during cold spells and it will be interesting to see if i can get it through a cold winter.
A nice hot water bottle tucked in with the wrapping will help i hope?.
If it carks it i will replace it with a Washington robusta.
rgds Billdango. :D :D :D :D :D
Hi Bill,
Fix a couple of sheets of clear corrugated plastic on top of your walls, which will put a cover over top of your Queen Palm, which will protect it from the hardest frosts.
Attachments
SYAGRUS ROMANZOFFIANA.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Good idea Rod icon_thumright

Bill, a Washingtonia will completely fill that area, hope you don't need to go past it, as the petioles are extremely well armed :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Deedee »

I love this part of your garden Billdango, makes me wish i had a side passage, you could be sitting in spain looking at this pic. Good luck with your Syagrus, hope it makes it icon_thumleft
Adam

Post by Adam »

is your syagrus a santa catarina or just the regular form, just curious? :D
billdango

Post by billdango »

Adam wrote:is your syagrus a santa catarina or just the regular form, just curious? :D
Just a normal form.
I bought it as a young plant from the palm center a few years ago.
It cost me £16.00. and was about 3 feet tall.
The side entrance was the best place to put it as frost and snow are rarely a problem in that spot.
The main problem is wind but i can,t do much about that?.
Billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
eddie

Post by eddie »

Dave Brown wrote:Bill, a Washingtonia will completely fill that area, hope you don't need to go past it, as the petioles are extremely well armed :wink:
Could be dangerous for children, I've wounded myself lots of times on my washi's spines. The cat seems to love the palm though
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
billdango

Post by billdango »

eddie wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Bill, a Washingtonia will completely fill that area, hope you don't need to go past it, as the petioles are extremely well armed :wink:
Could be dangerous for children, I've wounded myself lots of times on my washi's spines. The cat seems to love the palm though
No worrys Eddie,i haven,t got any children and the cat got splattered under a truck years ago?.
rgds Billdango. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Good luck with that, it's one of my favorites. I had one in the ground before the cold winters where coming. It was surviving our winter over here but somehow the leafes where burned every winter. In that time my temperatures where not much below -3C when it was freezing. It has been growing also mostly one/one and half leaf each year so finally I decide to remove it.

I want to try it again sometimes if the milder winters return but then against a south wall not far from my Washingtonia. Just as a experiment how it's growing at that side of the garden. But I have more things to do, so it's not high on the to-do list anymore.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

sounds like you got a good microclimate there Bill! Good luck with the palm.
martinsbox

Post by martinsbox »

I have got one last seed (after numerous failures) to try and grow.
Looking much like a miniature coconut, I have tried growing in pots,
I have now got it rolling around in the airing cupboard in a sealed container between moist kitchen roll.
Any pointers to where I've gone/going wrong with these seeds? As a guide, I placed in the container some spare Phoenix Dactylifera var. Deglet Nour one of which has shown the first signs of life.
As the Queen Palm looks so nice, it would be great to get one started. If I do eventually get it gong, it would be one that I'd get more seed as it's always worth having that backup!!
billdango

Post by billdango »

martinsbox wrote:I have got one last seed (after numerous failures) to try and grow.
Looking much like a miniature coconut, I have tried growing in pots,
I have now got it rolling around in the airing cupboard in a sealed container between moist kitchen roll.
Any pointers to where I've gone/going wrong with these seeds? As a guide, I placed in the container some spare Phoenix Dactylifera var. Deglet Nour one of which has shown the first signs of life.
As the Queen Palm looks so nice, it would be great to get one started. If I do eventually get it gong, it would be one that I'd get more seed as it's always worth having that backup!!
Hi martinsbox.
In reply to your thread i have never tried to grow a Syagrus from seed as at my age it wouldn,t be worth the effort.
I still think its best to buy a small plant and grow it on.
You can sometimes find this plant as decent sized specimens in the Range or at the palm center in London.
But good luck with the seeds anyway?.
rgds Billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
martinsbox

Post by martinsbox »

billdango wrote: Hi martinsbox.
In reply to your thread i have never tried to grow a Syagrus from seed as at my age it wouldn,t be worth the effort.
I still think its best to buy a small plant and grow it on.
You can sometimes find this plant as decent sized specimens in the Range or at the palm center in London.
But good luck with the seeds anyway?.
rgds Billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Hi Bilidango,
I'm no spring chicken at 51, but I do like a challenge
Chears icon_thumright
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

My two are still outside in pots, against the garden wall for every little bit of heat. They'll be staying out all winter as I've nowhere to put them, too tall (about 10 maybe 12 feet tall) and heavy pots.