Sabal species in the U.K.

Las Palmas Norte

Sabal species in the U.K.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Since I haven't seen much on the Sabal species posted here, I was curious about anyone that has any experience over your way with them.
Any comments welcome. Cheers, Barrie.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Sabal species in the U.K.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its not warm enough here for enough growth in most years. People buy them but slowly go backwards. Saying that I have a few seedlings just incase it warms up.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes it is like so many plants that do well in the US, they can take our winter no problem, but not our lack of spring, summer, and fall. The best way to treat is keep in the greenhouse. :wink:

I have Sabal bermudana, and S.minor 'Louisiana' but these are not outside. Member Turtile from Delaware, who has more knowledge on these mentioned the 90/90 rule for good growth. Basically this is where the temp reaches 90F (32C) for 90 days or more. I reached it once this year outside 32.8C. :( and my area was the hottest on that day, and was a 5 year record for UK, so we fall quite some way short of ideal conditions. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

I did see a large specimen of Sabel Minor in Bournemouth 2 years ago?.
It did seem in perfect condition but i haven,t been back to see if it is still there.
The palm was about 4 feet tall and wide and it was situated near the beach in a stand of T Fortuni.
billdango. :D :D :D :D
Las Palmas Norte

These Sabal are still somewhat of a collector only palm. I've not seen any in garden centers / nurseries anywhere.
I have a Sabal 'Birmingham' that is holding it's own, growing but certainly not at break neck speed.
Here's a nice Sabal rosei at a nearby lo-cal.

Cheers, Barrie.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

They will grow here, but are very slow... That's why I don't have one, the same reason why I don't have a Jubaea... I'm too impatient :lol:
Rod

Post by Rod »

Dave Brown wrote:Yes it is like so many plants that do well in the US, they can take our winter no problem, but not our lack of spring, summer, and fall. The best way to treat is keep in the greenhouse. :wink:

I have Sabal bermudana, and S.minor 'Louisiana' but these are not outside. Member Turtile from Delaware, who has more knowledge on these mentioned the 90/90 rule for good growth. Basically this is where the temp reaches 90F (32C) for 90 days or more. I reached it once this year outside 32.8C. :( and my area was the hottest on that day, and was a 5 year record for UK, so we fall quite some way short of ideal conditions. :roll:
Hi Dave - We only get temps over 32°c, about 7~14 times ( days ) each Summer.
So way down on the numbers needed for good growth. But there is a very good specimen growing not far from me, in the botanical gardens outside in the ground.
Here it is below, a Sabal palmetto
Attachments
IMG_0537 EDIT.jpg
IMG_0539 EDIT.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Rod wrote: Hi Dave - We only get temps over 32°c, about 7~14 times ( days ) each Summer.
So way down on the numbers needed for good growth. But there is a very good specimen growing not far from me, in the botanical gardens outside in the ground.
Here it is below, a Sabal palmetto
I'm not an expert, but that does not look like a palmetto to me, the leaves are larger than I would expect. My Sabal bermudana had leaves nearly 3m across but was a nightmare with any wind. The same seem to be true of that palm. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nice video barrie. icon_thumleft Did you send the builders the bill for damage or get a discount on the work being done? I would like one of those sabal rosei, they look great.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Barrie, I've grown S. Minor and Palmetto in a sheltered suntrap that seems to beat the normal UK climate although I lost Minor two winters ago after a previous 'freeze' of growth the summer before, probably due to overcrowding, shading and a lack of water in the height of Summer.

The palmetto growing a couple of metres away escaped this problem and this year in particular with April and October having exceptional heat I've managed four new leaves on this. An example of the microclimate enjoyed by this was a surface temperature of 39c (102f) under the palm when the daytime high was 28c (82f) back in April. This resulted in the earliest opening of a spear on this and even the current spear is still moving. (17.5c today in hazy sunshine would have still kept it happy :D ) Two or three leaves a year are normal for this so it is still very slow.

A grower in Northern Ireland managed four leaves this year on his S. Bermudana but this was potted. However, this variety looks to require the least amount of heat compared to the others.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

sabal bermudana looks a cracker and is supposed to be hardy to about -14 deg c.

It's on my list for next year
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is a beauty icon_thumright but they still need a very warm microclimate to grow here.

My big S bermudana grew around 4 leaves a year under cover with temps 30 + all summer. Unfortunately I thought it was S minor when I planted it, so was lifting the roof off, and had to be dug out.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Slightly off topic but you will see a Sabal palmetto in this video.
Coconut Mike in Montreal Canada is growing some palms well out of their range. He is enthusiastic to say the least.

Cheers, Barrie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6zrLIy ... r_embedded
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Slightly off topic but you will see a Sabal palmetto in this video.
Coconut Mike in Montreal Canada is growing some palms well out of their range. He is enthusiastic to say the least.

Cheers, Barrie.

How the heck does he get those palms through winter??!!??? That Queen Palm is fantastic!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Las Palmas Norte wrote:Slightly off topic but you will see a Sabal palmetto in this video.

Cheers, Barrie.

How the heck does he get those palms through winter??!!??? That Queen Palm is fantastic!
I noticed how dry and sandy the soil looks, a light coloured dry soil. Not like the grey claggy clay I've got here. I reckon getting the soil right is half the battle.