Spring In The Garden

Rod

Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:16 am

Just a look at how the garden is shaping up this Spring
Attachments
Aloe maculata - flowering for the first time-01.jpg
Aloe maculata - flowering for the first time-02.jpg
Butia capitata new growth-01.jpg
Butia capitata new growth-02.jpg
Butia capitata new growth-03.jpg
Chamaerops humilis new growth.jpg
Cordyline - Green Goddess.jpg
Cycas revoluta - Thought i would try one of these in the ground this year.jpg
Giant Himalayan Lily-01.jpg
Giant Himalayan Lily-02.jpg

Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 am

Some More
Attachments
Rhopalostylis sapida & Liriope.jpg
W.robusta seedling & Young Butia capitata.jpg
Washingtonia robusta - already onto its 3rd leaf, late Spring ( Recovering from the rough Winter we just had ).jpg
Young Chamaerops humilis seedling.jpg
Succulent Garden.jpg
Garden path-01.jpg
Garden path-02.jpg
Garden path-03.jpg
Garden path-04.jpg
Garden path-05.jpg

User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by redsquirrel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:08 am

i am a very jealous squirrel right now :lol:
here we are heading into winter not knowing what it may bring and you go flashing a nikau growing happily in your garden. oh how i wish.
great garden and great selection of plants you have Rod,if you get any other aloes flowering,perhaps you could try crossing some outside. icon_thumleft
Targui kindly sent a few of us some fresh nikau seeds,perhaps in 10-15 years time,we might have some decent ones to show you icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure

Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:35 am

redsquirrel wrote:i am a very jealous squirrel right now :lol:
here we are heading into winter not knowing what it may bring and you go flashing a nikau growing happily in your garden. oh how i wish.
great garden and great selection of plants you have Rod,if you get any other aloes flowering,perhaps you could try crossing some outside. icon_thumleft
Targui kindly sent a few of us some fresh nikau seeds,perhaps in 10-15 years time,we might have some decent ones to show you icon_thumright
Thanks Redsquirrel,
Yes, I am waiting for other aloes to flower, especially the A.polyphyllas's. They are not quite old enough yet.
Aloe aristata flowered last year, but nothing else did at the same time.
Rhopie's are not reliable enough here in Winter, and need to be protected from the hardest frosts, the very reason it is in a pot. They are fine as long as the temp don't drop below -3°c.
I will be trialing 2x Dypsis decipiens early December in the ground, 45L Esi-lift bag, 1m size plants to see how they go.

kata

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by kata » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:51 am

A lovely garden Rod!

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:24 am

kata wrote:A lovely garden Rod!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Thanks Kata

User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by redsquirrel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Rod wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:i am a very jealous squirrel right now :lol:
here we are heading into winter not knowing what it may bring and you go flashing a nikau growing happily in your garden. oh how i wish.
great garden and great selection of plants you have Rod,if you get any other aloes flowering,perhaps you could try crossing some outside. icon_thumleft
Targui kindly sent a few of us some fresh nikau seeds,perhaps in 10-15 years time,we might have some decent ones to show you icon_thumright
Thanks Redsquirrel,
Yes, I am waiting for other aloes to flower, especially the A.polyphyllas's. They are not quite old enough yet.
Aloe aristata flowered last year, but nothing else did at the same time.
Rhopie's are not reliable enough here in Winter, and need to be protected from the hardest frosts, the very reason it is in a pot. They are fine as long as the temp don't drop below -3°c.
I will be trialing 2x Dypsis decipiens early December in the ground, 45L Esi-lift bag, 1m size plants to see how they go.
oh just rub it in why dont you :lol: :lol: :lol:
trialing dypsis,i have 2 decaryi im growing from seed,tiny things,i enjoy growing them because they are so fast indoors but put them out come spring and they die every time.on my 4th attempt now,will keep them in a little longer this time.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure

jungle jas

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by jungle jas » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi, will some kind sole tell me what a Giant Himalayan Lily is?
Nice garden makes me wish I lived over there. icon_salut

GREVILLE

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by GREVILLE » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Green with envy, Rod, that you're going and growing green for the coming months while we go into reverse here :( It must be said though that basking in one of the warmest Autumns we've ever had has brought out lots of Spring flowers on many confused plants. With the large leaved aroids and nanas STILL throwing out rollers and new leaves it might as well be Spring!

Drooling over your Aloes, too. I first brought back A. maculata as a division off a flowering plant from the Canary Islands many years ago. I've got more plants from this, some quite big, both potted and planted out (lifted in winter) but have never got them to flower. A. aristata and striatula always oblige, however, and they are planted out permanently - our last three hard winters not touching them. Acquired A. polyphylla last year but I'm not planting this out yet.

Keep us jealous in the coming months with more pics as you spring into summer icon_thumleft

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Tom2006 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Looking great already!! VERY jealous!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

Darlo Mark

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Darlo Mark » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:39 pm

You New Zealanders must all have amazing gardens! Well done yours looks great!

Keep the photos coming they cheer me up!

User avatar
Las Palmas Norte
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Lantzville, British Columbia (Vancouver Island)

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Las Palmas Norte » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:51 am

Nice start to the spring season there Rod. Lookin' great!
No banana plants? ... or did I overlook them.

Cheers, Barrie.

Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 am

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Nice start to the spring season there Rod. Lookin' great!
No banana plants? ... or did I overlook them.

Cheers, Barrie.
Thanks Barrie - I have not put a Banana in yet, will be planting one in by Mid December.

Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 am

Darlo Mark wrote:You New Zealanders must all have amazing gardens! Well done yours looks great!

Keep the photos coming they cheer me up!
Thanks Mark.

Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:58 am

Tom2006 wrote:Looking great already!! VERY jealous!
Thanks Tom

Post Reply