Giant Himalayan Lily-02.jpg
Rod

Re: Spring In The Garden

Post by Rod »

Some More
Attachments
Rhopalostylis sapida & Liriope.jpg
W.robusta seedling & Young Butia capitata.jpg
Washingtonia robusta - already onto its 3rd leaf, late Spring ( Recovering from the rough Winter we just had ).jpg
Young Chamaerops humilis seedling.jpg
Succulent Garden.jpg
Garden path-01.jpg
Garden path-02.jpg
Garden path-03.jpg
Garden path-04.jpg
Garden path-05.jpg
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i am a very jealous squirrel right now :lol:
here we are heading into winter not knowing what it may bring and you go flashing a nikau growing happily in your garden. oh how i wish.
great garden and great selection of plants you have Rod,if you get any other aloes flowering,perhaps you could try crossing some outside. icon_thumleft
Targui kindly sent a few of us some fresh nikau seeds,perhaps in 10-15 years time,we might have some decent ones to show you icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Rod

Post by Rod »

redsquirrel wrote:i am a very jealous squirrel right now :lol:
here we are heading into winter not knowing what it may bring and you go flashing a nikau growing happily in your garden. oh how i wish.
great garden and great selection of plants you have Rod,if you get any other aloes flowering,perhaps you could try crossing some outside. icon_thumleft
Targui kindly sent a few of us some fresh nikau seeds,perhaps in 10-15 years time,we might have some decent ones to show you icon_thumright
Thanks Redsquirrel,
Yes, I am waiting for other aloes to flower, especially the A.polyphyllas's. They are not quite old enough yet.
Aloe aristata flowered last year, but nothing else did at the same time.
Rhopie's are not reliable enough here in Winter, and need to be protected from the hardest frosts, the very reason it is in a pot. They are fine as long as the temp don't drop below -3°c.
I will be trialing 2x Dypsis decipiens early December in the ground, 45L Esi-lift bag, 1m size plants to see how they go.
kata

Post by kata »

A lovely garden Rod!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Rod

Post by Rod »

kata wrote:A lovely garden Rod!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Thanks Kata
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Rod wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:i am a very jealous squirrel right now :lol:
Thanks Redsquirrel,
Yes, I am waiting for other aloes to flower, especially the A.polyphyllas's. They are not quite old enough yet.
Aloe aristata flowered last year, but nothing else did at the same time.
Rhopie's are not reliable enough here in Winter, and need to be protected from the hardest frosts, the very reason it is in a pot. They are fine as long as the temp don't drop below -3°c.
I will be trialing 2x Dypsis decipiens early December in the ground, 45L Esi-lift bag, 1m size plants to see how they go.
oh just rub it in why dont you :lol: :lol: :lol:
trialing dypsis,i have 2 decaryi im growing from seed,tiny things,i enjoy growing them because they are so fast indoors but put them out come spring and they die every time.on my 4th attempt now,will keep them in a little longer this time.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi, will some kind sole tell me what a Giant Himalayan Lily is?
Nice garden makes me wish I lived over there. icon_salut
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Green with envy, Rod, that you're going and growing green for the coming months while we go into reverse here :( It must be said though that basking in one of the warmest Autumns we've ever had has brought out lots of Spring flowers on many confused plants. With the large leaved aroids and nanas STILL throwing out rollers and new leaves it might as well be Spring!

Drooling over your Aloes, too. I first brought back A. maculata as a division off a flowering plant from the Canary Islands many years ago. I've got more plants from this, some quite big, both potted and planted out (lifted in winter) but have never got them to flower. A. aristata and striatula always oblige, however, and they are planted out permanently - our last three hard winters not touching them. Acquired A. polyphylla last year but I'm not planting this out yet.

Keep us jealous in the coming months with more pics as you spring into summer icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looking great already!! VERY jealous!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

You New Zealanders must all have amazing gardens! Well done yours looks great!

Keep the photos coming they cheer me up!
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Nice start to the spring season there Rod. Lookin' great!
No banana plants? ... or did I overlook them.

Cheers, Barrie.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Nice start to the spring season there Rod. Lookin' great!
No banana plants? ... or did I overlook them.

Cheers, Barrie.
Thanks Barrie - I have not put a Banana in yet, will be planting one in by Mid December.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Darlo Mark wrote:You New Zealanders must all have amazing gardens! Well done yours looks great!

Keep the photos coming they cheer me up!
Thanks Mark.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Tom2006 wrote:Looking great already!! VERY jealous!
Thanks Tom