what palms?

call

what palms?

Post by call »

what palms would be best for a small garden with kids around hardy would be best
kata

Re: what palms?

Post by kata »

Well Call,

First let me welcome you to Hardy Tropical forums.

My hardiest would be Trachycarpus fortunei but others may know a more hardy one.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
octfortunei.jpg
As its still warm here I have removed the polystyrene.
call

Post by call »

ive got a young one but its quite slow growing :roll: so i might get a nice sized one for £20 but i might try some more tracycarpus species like wagnerius :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi Call, Palms are relatively slow growing. Believe it or not trachycarpus fortunei is probably the fast growing palm for the UK. Others to try are butia, Jubaea and chammys (but these do have thorns)
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Depending on where in kent you are you could be more adventerous especially if you are prepared to protect. Trachys have been mentioned but you could try Canary island date palm (phenoix caneriensis) or Washington robusta ( With Dave B for inspiration)
These are not completly hardy but are faster growing.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Trachycarpus fortunei is the best by far.

The other reasonably hardy options have nasty sharp spines on the leaf stems, not so good for kids.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Washingtonia Robusta have really nasty teeth on the petiole (leaf stalks), not nice if the kids can reach them. I've had some really nasty cuts stupidly moving these without wearing thick gloves.

Canary Island Date Palm have spines:

I reckon if you are worried about children hurting themselves and you want a hardy palm, the trachycarpus wagnerianus is the best bet.
kata

Post by kata »

Washingtonia Robusta have really nasty teeth
Mike, How soon would that happen?

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP won't be that hardy....will they?

icon_cheers
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

kata wrote:
Washingtonia Robusta have really nasty teeth
Mike, How soon would that happen?

icon_cheers
Depends on what size you buy. I've only ever bought reasonably big ones and they've always come pre-armed with these razor sharp teeth. mostly due to the fact that they are quite cheap (especially in a sale).
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Funny you should mention Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.

Went to Cotswold Wildlife Park yesterday (it was such a lovely warm sunny day).

They have some nice tropical style planting.

http://www.cotswoldwildlifepark.co.uk/gardens/index.php

Anyway, there were several very dead looking large palms there.

One looked like a six foot trunk of a Butia. Dead, no top growth.
The other looked like the ten foot trunk of a washy. Dead, no top growth.

The other was a very fat, three foot tall trunk of a CIPD. All big fronds gone, but a very green sprout of healthy looking fronds about three feet long sticking out of the top.

icon_scratch
kata

Post by kata »

Thing is Mike,

I am not good with names of palms.

I have two seedlings at home I took to be Washigtonia Robustas. I really would like an accurate ID. I think I will create an ID post.

Those look terribly dangerous spikes Mike.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh Mike,

I hav'nt had breakfast yet (brew first) and I was going through my mail when Banana.org sent me a note with pics.

Apparently a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was bought at a store and look.
bancidp.jpg
Do you think it will survive, they think so but I think its better kept inside a while in its present state. It was wet through inside.
Went to Cotswold Wildlife Park yesterday (it was such a lovely warm sunny day).
Thanks for the link. The park sounds nice.

You say it like its an ordinary everyday park. I live miles from anything like that. I think Knowsley Safari park be the nearest and thats only animals I believe...nice for you and the family to be able to enjoy that.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I definitely do not recommend the canary island date palm. Child's eye-level needle point fronds! I will never forgive my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP after it poked me in the eye!
kata

Post by kata »

Vagetarian,

Are you ok to see same as before...oh the pain. Whenever I have accidently poked a finger in my eye it hurts like hell.....I fail to imagine your pain.

:( :( :( :(
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Luckily kata it wasn't a full on stab, but it certainly did hurt!

It was a crazy to thing to buy at the time as it had to take a 20 mile car journey in between my legs in the passengers foot well. I really can't resist a sale, no matter how much pain and suffering it might cause. :lol: