what palms?

kata

Re: what palms?

Post by kata »

Oh good...take care.

I got pricked off a revoluta, after reading its poison I felt sure I would be dead by morning. :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

kata wrote:after reading its poison I felt sure I would be dead by morning. :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers icon_cheers
The internet can convince you that you're going to die in a thousand different ways I think! :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Yep Vagetarian,

But now I wear thick Marigolds in the garden......HAHAHHAHAH!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
call

Post by call »

cool :D while on himalayan gardens i saw some cool palms like the foxtail palm Wallichia disticha and Pinanga gracilis are these hardy [http://www.himalayangardens.com/productdetails-92.html]
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

kata wrote:Oh good...take care.

I got pricked off a revoluta, after reading its poison I felt sure I would be dead by morning. :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers icon_cheers
I have been caught by mine a few times, and my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, also my agaves, thing is i was wearing gloves all times, but every plant got me in the arm, as i moved to do a job. Typical! my yucca is thw worst by far, im sure my days are numbered with that one. :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

No they are not (numbered San,

We won't allow... icon_cheers icon_cheers But do take care.
Ste

Post by Ste »

How about trying a cordyline
billdango

Post by billdango »

Iff you have young children i would forget Phoenix Canariensis as the spines at the base of the leaves are so vicious.
I had one of my most agonising gardening accidents with one of these and it cost me a afternoon in casualty and 3 weeks of hell on earth with my arm in a bandage.
The hospital removed a 1 inch length of spine from inside my hand and my whole arm up to the elbow swelled up to twice its normal size.
If that had gone in my eye it would have been extremly serius.
So if i were you i would stick to T fortuni or T wagnerianus.
billdango. icon_thumleft
call

Post by call »

thanks some exelent ideas to get me thinking i was going to get cordyline invisida beocause it has wider leaves than the bog standard australis wich give it a more tropical look. i might grow some hardy cycads in the near centre of a border to stop there spiky leaves from pricking passers by. :idea:
Ste

Post by Ste »

I'm almost certain that the indivisa's are really expensive to even buy a half decent size one
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Could you build a decent sized raised bed (i.e 2-3 ft high) and then plant palms on top of that?? You would be less restricted on species then as most would be above kids eye levels.
call

Post by call »

i dont realy have anyware to put a raised bed but how about sabals how sharp are they
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi Call,
There is only one palm for the UK if you expect it to live that's a Trachycarpus. Good Luck.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

jungle jas wrote:Hi Call,
There is only one palm for the UK if you expect it to live that's a Trachycarpus. Good Luck.
That's not really true. Have you seen the giant Canary Island Date palms all over London and the south coast? There are quite a few large Jubeas dotted around the country, lots of Chamaerops humilis and I dare say a lot of Butia doing fine.

Not everywhere saw -20 last winter.
call

Post by call »

i dont really care if there not hardy i do have a poly tunnel to overwinter them in :)