Cycas Revoluta

JoelR

Cycas Revoluta

Post by JoelR »

Having been inspired by Simba's success, I got a good sized revoluta this year with the ultimate intention of planting it out. I'ts currently dominating my conservatory mainly because I only bought it in July and don't want to risk losing it so soon. I lost a smaller one last year in the greenhouse which had just a soil warming cable for protection. The new one would look amazing where until last winter a decent Chammy used to reside but I'm struggling to convince myself that with any amount of protection it would survive.

My last plant was bought at a flower show in April 2007 from a Southampton based nursery and was placed outside soon after purchase. It was totally defoliated within 2 weeks and took 2 years to recover but was finally binned in August this year after no signs of life.

Anyone in northern England got these planted out permanantly and doing well or even surviving??
The Codfather

Re: Cycas Revoluta

Post by The Codfather »

I am shocked you lost one in a greenhouse icon_scratch icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

Cold Coddy,

Think how bad it was last year. With no heating to speak of either. Had Joel fleeced his ipod it may just have survived.

ipods are supposed to be ok planted in the garden as frost only penetrates the first few inches.

:mrgreen:
dk

Post by dk »

I've left mine outside this year after reading Simba's success story as well. Going to wrap it before the cold weather sets in, but at the moment it's doing fine.

It has already proven it can handle minus 6 degrees and freezing temperatures for days in my shed. Will be interesting to see if multiple layers of fleece and fabrics can keep it warm enough for it to survive in the ground this coming winter. I'm feeling optimistic, but I'm prepared to loose it if it gets silly cold again up here.

A Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in similar condition spear pulled...
kata

Post by kata »

Well done on the success DK!!

icon_cheers
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

The Codfather wrote:I am shocked you lost one in a greenhouse icon_scratch icon_study
It was -7C in the centre for 2-3 weeks :ahhh!: Also lost a smallish Jubaea and lots of cacti/succulents.
kata

Post by kata »

Stick a ball of fleece in the center Joel,

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

My dad got a small one through outside in a pot in winters 2007 and 2008. (and possibly 2009) but after last winter it had been killed. He didn't protect it at all.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just remember the wrapping has to cover the ground area that the fronds cover as well, this allows the warm earth to stop the Cycad from freezing. plenty of layers seemed to do the trick for Simba and he had -14C one night. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Would putting canes a round the cycas then wrapping round the caines work better than actually wrapping the cycas itself :?: Mine is only a tiddler but come next year i will plant it i reckon. :)
kata

Post by kata »

I just did that with my fortunei San,

Not covered it yet...not cold enough.

There is a good sized fortunei not too far from me, I am wondering will they cover theirs. Theres always two/three cars at the house but never seen anyone outdoors doing the garden.

Its a case now of watch see if they cover it. If they never covered it last year its in damn great condition, its in a corner, possibly protected by a hedge.. icon_cheers
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Are these classed as root sensitive?, i have a couple that were both reppotted approx 6months ago. We now want to put the 1 of them in the lounge as a centre piece but would like a nice glazed clay pot, if we can find a big one!!. Would disturbing it again after only 6 months have any adverse effect on it. thanks karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

not on a potted one Karl.they take years to re-root when damaged but thats not likely to happen swapping pots. if in doubt just drop the old pot inside the new one and conceal it with something
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

redsquirrel wrote:not on a potted one Karl.they take years to re-root when damaged but thats not likely to happen swapping pots. if in doubt just drop the old pot inside the new one and conceal it with something
Ok m8, thanks.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

One thing i want to know is why are cycas roots so easy to damage compared to most roots on plants? mine just seemed to snap extremely easy and this was when i was re-potting it before i brought it inside. I literally removed it from the pot and the yellow roots just fell off so easy? Can anyone tell me why this is?