My 2x New Dypsis decipiens

MikeC

Re: My 2x New Dypsis decipiens

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:47 pm

kata wrote:Don't they look awesome stripped Rod?

Your new palm is a beauty.

icon_cheers

I don't think they are stripped Kata, I think they have a naturally bare ringed trunk.

Rod

Post by Rod » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:43 pm

MikeC wrote:
kata wrote:Don't they look awesome stripped Rod?

Your new palm is a beauty.

icon_cheers

I don't think they are stripped Kata, I think they have a naturally bare ringed trunk.
Yes Mikes right, this image shows that the palm prefers the Californian climate over the Tropical one. ( As you can see from the health of the trunks )
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm

Conifers

Post by Conifers » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Rod wrote:Yes Mikes right, this image shows that the palm prefers the Californian climate over the Tropical one. ( As you can see from the health of the trunks )
There's no clear difference in health, it's just that the one in the humid tropical climate has a lot of epiphytic algae and moss on the trunk. That doesn't mean bad health.

Madagascar has summer rainfall, so although the palm can grow in California, it probably isn't doing so well as it would with summer rainfall. From the wider gaps between the leaf scars, I'd strongly suspect the tropical one is growing a lot faster.

kata

Post by kata » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:29 am

I like them like that!

Thanks.. icon_cheers icon_cheers
http://flowersnpalms.com/floraandfaunauk/

Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

rburrena

Post by rburrena » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:24 am

Nathan wrote:
MikeC wrote:
Nathan wrote:I tried Dypsis decipiens here in the past & it came through the winters without a mark, but refused to grow in our relatively cool summers... :roll:
What happened to it? Did it just die or is it still there doing nothing much?
It eventually died, a very slow & lingering death. Same has happened with Syagrus romanzoffiana's here in the past, no problem overwintering them, but summers are just too cool in the UK for any decent growth.
Were they in the shade though? Maybe in a sunny spot they might grow better. Hmm, but then I guess theyd be more exposed to frost :?

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:44 pm

rburrena wrote:
Nathan wrote:It eventually died, a very slow & lingering death. Same has happened with Syagrus romanzoffiana's here in the past, no problem overwintering them, but summers are just too cool in the UK for any decent growth.
Were they in the shade though? Maybe in a sunny spot they might grow better. Hmm, but then I guess theyd be more exposed to frost :?
No, in full sun & in a raised bed too... I don't know if a larger more established plant would make a difference, as when I got my Dypsis only very small ones were available...
Malta - USDA Zone 11a

rburrena

Post by rburrena » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 am

Nathan wrote: No, in full sun & in a raised bed too... I don't know if a larger more established plant would make a difference, as when I got my Dypsis only very small ones were available...
What a shame. As you have the winters for it. What about the Nikau palm, have you tried that? I understand that doesnt need hot summers?

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:07 pm

rburrena wrote:
Nathan wrote: No, in full sun & in a raised bed too... I don't know if a larger more established plant would make a difference, as when I got my Dypsis only very small ones were available...
What a shame. As you have the winters for it. What about the Nikau palm, have you tried that? I understand that doesnt need hot summers?
Yes, I had both Rhopalostylis sapida & bauerii growing outside here for a few years. The R. bauerii in particular was a lovely plant & grew from a seedling to around 3ft tall in the time I had it, unfortunately they were casualties of the last couple of cold winters. They survived the first cold one, but two on the trot were too much for them :(

If we get back to 'normal' winters then I would definitely give them a go here again...
Malta - USDA Zone 11a

rburrena

Post by rburrena » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:05 am

Nathan wrote: If we get back to 'normal' winters then I would definitely give them a go here again...
Definately worth a try again for you. Who knows, that might have been a once in a 100 year winter. Let's hope so anyway!

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:12 pm

rburrena wrote:
Nathan wrote: If we get back to 'normal' winters then I would definitely give them a go here again...
Definately worth a try again for you. Who knows, that might have been a once in a 100 year winter. Let's hope so anyway!
Indeed. Rhopalostylis & Archontophoenix are more than capable of growing to maturity here (providing no more winters like the last 3 for a couple of decades at least) as they managed it on Tresco, up until 1987...
Malta - USDA Zone 11a