Whats eating my Cycas revoluta?

Kristen

Re: Whats eating my Cycas revoluta?

Post by Kristen »

Hand't thought of that. I have some Horticultural Soap that I use for spraying things, and also some Neem Oil - I wonder if that might have any effect?
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Hi Kristen,

I never heard of using neem oil on Cycas infact it is extracted from neem seeds and using this plant oil on other plants is a good idea. However, test the oil on only 1 frond or leaf of your Cycas and if any reaction occurs causing yellow leaves it can happen to only that part of frond. Otherwise if you apply to whole Cycas you may loose all that you cared and besides it hardly takes 1 year to wait and watch for another set of fronds.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

White Oil. Problem solved.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

What is white oil?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:What is white oil?
4 parts vegetable oil to one part of washing up liquid.

Blend in a mixer until homogeneous and store.

Dilute 1:50 with water for use, spraying leaves from above and below.

It blocks insect pores and so suffocates them.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Yep thats a good recipe Gogg. You can also buy it commercially in spray cans it does the same job. Just make sure you coat the underside of the leaves where the scale are living and use a thin even coat rather than soaking it.

Also, and Im not sure how much of a problem this will be over there this time of year but dont leave the plant in hot sun after youve sprayed the leaves or it can burn the plant.

I dont use it on soft foliaged plants but on cycas its no problem as they have tough leaves that are hard to damage.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Troppoz wrote:Yep thats a good recipe Gogg. You can also buy it commercially in spray cans it does the same job. Just make sure you coat the underside of the leaves where the scale are living and use a thin even coat rather than soaking it.

Also, and Im not sure how much of a problem this will be over there this time of year but dont leave the plant in hot sun after youve sprayed the leaves or it can burn.
Trust me Sean. That would never be a problem here at this time of year. We tend to forget what the sun actually is!!! :lol: