FLOWER SPIKES ON THE ST DENYS Phoenix canariensis_CIDP?

billdango

FLOWER SPIKES ON THE ST DENYS Phoenix canariensis_CIDP?

Post by billdango »

I just noticed after pruning off the lower leaves on this Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that two flower spikes are starting to emerge.

Hopefully this could mean some seeds later this year.

I have included some pictures below so that forum members can see for themselves.

rgds Billdango. icon_thumleft
Attachments
100_2903.jpg
100_2904.jpg
100_2912.jpg
100_2913.jpg
Adrian

Re: FLOWER SPIKES ON THE ST DENYS Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP)

Post by Adrian »

My old big one flowered a couple of times but they didnt come to much really, great to get them to flower mind.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: FLOWER SPIKES ON THE ST DENYS Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP)

Post by Dave Brown »

It is a momentus moment Bill icon_thumright and one I have never got to here :roll:

The problem is you need a male and female palms in flower at the same time to pollenate the flowers to get seed. Also the Southsea fruit seemed to have taken 3 years to grow to mature, as when the fruit was full grown there were 2 other sets of younger fruit and flowers on the palms.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by rburrena »

What a beautiful plant. I hope my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP look like that sooner or later :)
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Very nice, but was space a reason for pruning this so severely? Personally I prefer a fuller crown.

Cheers, Barrie.
billdango

Re: FLOWER SPIKES ON THE ST DENYS Phoenix canariensis (Phoen

Post by billdango »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Very nice, but was space a reason for pruning this so severely? Personally I prefer a fuller crown.

Cheers, Barrie.
Hi Barrie,

The main reason that I pruned it like it is was because of its wide spread,and another reason was to make it easy to tie up and wrap in case we have another spell of severe weather like last December.

In future I will grow it like a shuttlecock to make it easier to look after.

Maybe later on I will let grow a full crown esp' when it grows taller.

billdango

Post by billdango »

rburrena wrote:What a beautiful plant. I hope my Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) look like that sooner or later :)
Have patience?

It will eventually.

Just protect it and wrap it well in cold spells and in about 7 years it should be the same size as the St Denys palm.

dino

Post by dino »

Yes at least they are quite quick growers.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Wow thats Amazing Billdango, I had a 4footer turn black in the Ghouse last year, I have 2 3footers in the Ghouse this year and there still green icon_cheers im over the moon, if i had one like yours, I think i would just hug it :D
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Very nice, but was space a reason for pruning this so severely? Personally I prefer a fuller crown.

Cheers, Barrie.
Me too. I'd also suspect the flowers may abort due to lack of adequate energy supply from the undersized crown.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Deedee wrote:Wow thats Amazing Billdango, I had a 4footer turn black in the Ghouse last year, I have 2 3footers in the Ghouse this year and there still green icon_cheers im over the moon, if i had one like yours, I think i would just hug it :D
It would have been even larger but the palm sustained some damage last December.

Hopefully next summer it will grow just as wide as it was before I had to prune it.

The flowers are not important as I would rather see a nice large healthy palm.

All the date palms so far in Southampton have recovered well here and hopefully should get even better as the year goes on.

Try planting yours in the ground and build a nice snug cover for it and see how it goes deedee?.

Remember [nothing ventured nothing gained].

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I would Billdango if i thought this was our winters from now on, :roll:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Deedee wrote:I would Billdango if i thought this was our winters from now on, :roll:
You can always grow a plant to a large size in a decorative pot and stand it outside for the warmer months.

I'ts better then nothing and still looks good ?

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh I am doing that....but pot plunding in the summer.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
dino

Post by dino »

Trouble is they do get really heavy and big quick