dates

call

dates

Post by call »

ive got some date seeds and i cleaned and soaked them
see here http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Seeds/Date_palm.php
i hope they look like this one day
Image :D :D :D :D
Last edited by call on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian

Re: dates

Post by Adrian »

They are the easiest palm seed youll ever try to germinate.
As for looking like this, well I cant see a picture but in this country dont expect much, fun to germinate and bring on as a small palm but you wont grow one outside
call

Post by call »

oh :(
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

If you want something that will look similar to that call, try a Jubaea Chilensis or a Butia. They're much hardier
call

Post by call »

okey dokey then
thats more on my list :D :D :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are fun to grow, but getting one to the size in your pic will be a challenge, and will need the right microclimate. Keep it potted until you really can't store over winter any more, then plant out the the sunniest, most sheltered place you have, but bear in mind the size they grow.

Incidentally your pic looks more like Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP), than Phoenix dactylifera (Date Palm) The trunk is too thick and the crown too full :wink: SEE HERE
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Palms/P ... lifera.php
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

The picture is showing now
flounder

Post by flounder »

Callum, they could germinate within 7-10 days. Grow them on keep totally frost free and in about 5 years you'll have some interesting summer bedding plants icon_thumright
call

Post by call »

one of them have germinated
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Remember to note the date it germinated

(sorry, couldn't resist! :lol: )
flounder

Post by flounder »

Certain seeds germinate better after being subjected to bush fires.......so, would a phoenix rise from the ashes? :lol:
It sounded funnier in my head :roll:
call

Post by call »

:D :D :D
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

I germinated about 20 shop bought date stones and potted them up and they were sitting there on the windowsill for about 5 weekes with no shoots so I removed some of the compost to see if anything was happening and found that they had all rotted off apart from a couple then a week later I noticed a root coming out the bottom so I was hoping for atleast one seedling then finally a shoot. It hasnt opened a leaf yet but it is growing.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Set up a date germinating display at the local school last year. Standard washed stones laid out on damp tissue inside a clear plastic sealed container. 14 out 26 stones germinated inside a month. This year I took back all 14 potted seedlings. Returned five to the greenhouse last month. Nine have found new homes :D

By the way, Call, aren't you too young to date?

Couldn't resist, either :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

I think he's alright to date, just too young to get stoned :wink: