Cordyline australis 'purpurea' in pots

Shamone10

Cordyline australis 'purpurea' in pots

Post by Shamone10 »

I have 4 Cordyline australis 'purpurea's' in pots they're each about 16-20" in height.

The last 5 days the temperature's been below 1C and they've been frozen solid including covered in snow for one of those days till I shook them off.

I've moved them to a snow cleared area earlier beneath a large conifer as I thought the temperature may be a little higher there but I checked outside a minute ago and its reading -5C with quite abit of wind.

I suppose a positive is they've barely been watered and are quite dry in their pots. Anyone know the hardiness of them or the likelihood they'll survive? All I could scathe together is people saying don't let snow sit in their crowns lol

Cheers
jungle jas

Re: Cordyline australis 'purpurea' in pots

Post by jungle jas »

All mine that were planted in the garden have been cut down to the ground over the last two winters. Min temperature was -8c, try and get them indoors whilst this cold weather persists. icon_thumright icon_thumright
Last edited by jungle jas on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Ah k thankyou. So yours grew up again from base in the spring? How big were they?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Personally, I think its a micro climate question here.
During 'that' december, C. purpurea around the brighton area(up to 8ft) showed that the ones growing close to a house had no or little damage, but ones planted further from a potential thermal mass lost the whole crown or were cut to ground level.Not many were totally lost. The four small ones(18in high) I have in pots, looked well manky after that freeze, but recovered enough not to be hidden away until they recovered
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Agreed, all cordy's around here are brown bread.....so climate etc does have a big part to play.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Shamone10 wrote:Ah k thankyou. So yours grew up again from base in the spring? How big were they?
7 to 8 foot high. I was gutted.
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

jungle jas wrote:
Shamone10 wrote:Ah k thankyou. So yours grew up again from base in the spring? How big were they?
7 to 8 foot high. I was gutted.
Ow that must hurt, the temperature around here tonight is about -10C supposedly, I got my cordy's in 2 days ago and they've been frost free since in the house.

If they were to have been killed over the past week how long would it take to show? Do the leaves/fronds go brown or mankey quickly?

Thanks for the info everyone else, it seems they're not nearly as hardy as the straight australis.
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Wow -12 last night near Gravesend.