Is this dead?

jawsum

Is this dead?

Post by jawsum »

Because it looks dead to me :(
Two years ago this was approx 10 feet tall and wide and absolutely lethal to pedestrians, the very bottom of the trunk is approx 2 foot diameter, winter 2010 reduced it to the size you see it now but very much alive and green, this previous winter in my naivety, I covered it with a coffee bean sack for about 4 months thinking that was how I should protect it :oops:

Your thoughts ?
Trudytropics

Re: Is this dead?

Post by Trudytropics »

:( Oh dear, that looks tragic, looks dead to me.
grub

Post by grub »

Looks pretty dead to me Daniel.
jawsum

Post by jawsum »

Oh well, as i suspected. Thanks
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

jawsum wrote:Because it looks dead to me :(
Two years ago this was approx 10 feet tall and wide and absolutely lethal to pedestrians, the very bottom of the trunk is approx 2 foot diameter, winter 2010 reduced it to the size you see it now but very much alive and green, this previous winter in my naivety, I covered it with a coffee bean sack for about 4 months thinking that was how I should protect it :oops:

Your thoughts ?
Did you take the coffee beans out first. :lol: It does look dead, but in my experience I would leave it until the end of July before digging it out. Many a recovering plant has been dug up to soon! I have done it my self.
kata

Post by kata »

Wow,

I never saw anything so dead looking........ :(
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

What was it?

It doesnt look promising but as Kata says plants can sometimes surprise you...
kata

Post by kata »

I think,

If you remove all the dead stuff and weeds surrounding the plant, allow in light, water if dry and feed. It could just rally in time but it would take a fair length of time.

Or, scrape gentle at a bit of bark see if its green or brown...green its alive.

:mrgreen:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote: Or, scrape gentle at a bit of bark see if its green or brown...green its alive.
Don't think that trick works with palms!
kata

Post by kata »

Yea conifers,

can shave a part down a stem surely.

Ok if not. Can still be a cleaning up operation to allow light.

:mrgreen:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Looks like the remains of a very dead Phoenix canariensis.

They can often recover, if big enough, from a cold winter, but being zapped a second winter on the trot normally means curtains...
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hi Daniel, I have to agree with the others here, it does look pretty much brown bread.

I do know there a quite a few of those Phoenix Canariensis palms in front gardens around Canvey, are they all looking the same this year?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Doesn't look good. The only saving grace could be, you won't be sued for it taking someones eye out :wink:
shanks

Post by shanks »

dont dig it up yet, theres one similar to yours in size and looks not far from me but i noticed the other dad green sprouting from the top so maybe theres hope
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

if that lives I'm the pope. dead Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. or I've got a ring that needs blessing. sorry