Southsea Canary Island Date Palms.

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Southsea Canary Island Date Palms.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Has anyone got any updated pictures or videos of the date palms on Southsea common? Dave has pictues and videos from a few years ago, but I'd love to see how they are doing and how they coped with and if they survived the severe winters of 2010 and 2011.
ash101uk

Re: Southsea Canary Island Date Palms.

Post by ash101uk »

They are alive and looking really good when I saw the a couple of weeks ago.

Nathan probally has some recent pics. Next time I'm in southsea I will take some pictures.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

I friend of mine of Facebook has a picture of themselves standing under one of them from about a week ago (I wont post it as its not mine to post), looks like a healthy palm to me, look massive as well. The real cold never seems to get to Southsea, and I don't believe this Feb's cold really affected that part of the south cost either as the large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in Swanage was looking much better this April than it did after the previous winter when I went there at Easter.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The most recent pics I have are from last spring/summer, will try to go & take some pics soon, but yes they all look fine, apart from the usual windburn to some of the outer fronds...

It didn't get that cold here in February & we didn't get any snow either. My low was -2.5C & the weather station at Southsea Marina (actually a couple of miles further east in Eastney) recorded -3.5C, so I can't imagine it was much different where the palms are located...
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Look forward to seeing them :D They must be very big now!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I was walking past the palms yesterday so took some photos (only on my BlackBerry so not great quality).

I have taken a pic of each one of them & note the people walking under/past in a couple of shots to give you an idea of scale (& no they were not children lol)...
Attachments
First in line & closest to the sea & more exposed
First in line & closest to the sea & more exposed
Next one opposite the 'Jolly Sailor' pub
Next one opposite the 'Jolly Sailor' pub
Next one with students for scale
Next one with students for scale
The 4th one, from the road side
The 4th one, from the road side
Next one with woman for scale
Next one with woman for scale
Another shot of same palm, my favourite one
Another shot of same palm, my favourite one
Looking back down the line of palms
Looking back down the line of palms
The last one, across the road actually on Southsea Common itself
The last one, across the road actually on Southsea Common itself
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

I heard Brahea Armata were planted nearby are they doing ok?

There is so much open space there it should be filled with Chamaerops and Jubaea as well.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes the Brahea are fine too. There is a large clump of Chamaerops planted infront of The Pyramids Centre on the seafront, plus this one planted close to a Trachycarpus in the rose garden icon_thumleft
Attachments
Rose Garden Chamaerops
Rose Garden Chamaerops
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

They look great, thanks for the update Nathan! Hope mine get that big :D
billdango

Post by billdango »

Really good pictures there Nathan?

I will be checking these palms out shortly when I visit Southsea in the next few days.

Iff I take any pictures i will definetely post them on this forum.

What happened to the small one by the Jolly Sailer pub, Did it cark it?

rgds billdango :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The smaller palm that the council moved last year is still alive, but looks a mess. They obviously didn't get enough root up with it & they failed to water it (it was dry last spring lol). The council have recently chopped all the tatty fronds off, so it now just has some new green growth coming out...

I'm pleased to report that the council have planted a few more palms though recently. Another Brahea armata (donated by John Churcher) has been planted on the roundabout by Clarence Pier & several Chamaerops humilis have been planted in the flower beds along Pier Road. They have also planted a small Jubaea chilensis by the roundabout at the end of Pier Road icon_thumleft
billdango

Post by billdango »

Hopefully I may be able to visit Southsea tomorrow,So if I do I will check out and get pictures of as many palms as possible.

I am sure that the council could plant some more CIDPs between the ones that are already there and put in some Jubaeas for future generations to enjoy.

I can see so much potential for that area and its a shame i,m not working for the council there.

If I was the whole sea front would be full of hardy palms by now?

Thanks again for posting your pictures on this forum Nathan.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I think it would look good with Washingtonia planted between the Phoenix icon_thumright

The council doesn't really have the budget to spend on palms any more unfortunately, so donations seem the only way of having new ones planted...
billdango

Post by billdango »

Nathan wrote:I think it would look good with Washingtonia planted between the Phoenix icon_thumright

The council doesn't really have the budget to spend on palms any more unfortunately, so donations seem the only way of having new ones planted...
That sounds a good idea so prehaps we can start some Washingtonia,s off as seedlings and when they are big enougth donate them to the council so as to make Southsea the SOCHI of the south coast. :D

I would be willing to spend some money and buy the first 2 foot specimen and it probably wouldn't cost more then 20 quid.

I was going to come to Southsea today to get some pictures of all thpse palms but car fan belt bearing carked it so I will put it off till everything is sorted next week :evil:

rgds billdango icon_sunny
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Washies are not tough enough even for Southsea imo.

They need volcanos and ceriferas though.