Priceless images stolen

kata

Priceless images stolen

Post by kata »

I am on a Cycad list and this email came through my account,

Hello to the Cycad Group!

It has been months since I have written as I returned from South Africa a week ago. The website link below outlines what I have been dealing with since my 1100 photographs and two cameras were stolen from me on the first leg of my trip home. The tragedy of the loss can never be adequately described but it is well highlighted in this article. What is particularly impressive is that we were given headline status. How often does one see cycad related news on the front page of a prominent South African newspaper? Needless to say, we were thrilled that our crisis was given the publicity that it deserved.

Douglas Goode and I are currently working on "Cycads of Africa Volume 2". Douglas asked me to co-author this long awaited publication and I am deeply honored to now be a part of this important project. There is exciting work to be done and we will keep the cycad world updated from time to time.

Best Wishes,
Karen Sternberg,
Living Cycads,
Vista, California.

Then to the site:

June 1 2012 at 09:58am

An American and South African researcher – who spent R70 000 travelling around the country to research endangered cycads – are distraught after all their work was stolen while flying from King Shaka International to OR Tambo International.

Such is their desperation to have the priceless pictures returned that the team – South African artist and author Douglas Goode and Karen Sternberg, a cycad enthusiast and nursery owner in the US – has offered a reward of R10 000.

They fear their work, much of it irreplaceable, may have “vaporised” after two cameras with more than a thousand pictures went missing from a suitcase between Durban and Johannesburg airports last week.

How terrible, I just hope they get them back..so much research.

http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/pri ... 84Ht7jedEB
Dim

Re: Priceless images stolen

Post by Dim »

sadly, thats how things are in South Africa

They even klingwrap your luggage at the airports now, as if not, your bag will be pillaged

we sent my eldest son an ipod .... we insured it and sent it via tracking with royal mail / parcelforce... it's gone!

and don't even try send presents to friends/family .... the postal authorities in South Africa impose silly custom charges now .... the person who receives the parcel has to pay the sometimes very high fees

it's sad
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Dim,

I will certainly make sure I never post out to SA.

Aweful way to be!! :(
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

first, its not priceless if it cost R70,000 to do it, its just expensive to do again, second and more importantly, what idiots for not backing it up or carrying the memory cards on their person. how much does a memory card or portable hard drive cost...
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I agree with FF, no sympathy for fools because they've been parted from their possessions.

Didn't they read the Tourist Traps or Pros and Cons before they went? There are loads of websites out there that have real life reports of what goes on in strange places.

I even checked when I visited Tunisia and that's not even famous for the crime like SA is.

Maybe they just wanted something to write about.

:roll:
Dim

Post by Dim »

If I have a thousand pound camera, it goes in hand luggage (especially if the photos are my paycheck for a few months)

the guy (Douglas) is a south african .... he does not look like a teenager, so should have know better as he lives there

it's still sad though
kata

Post by kata »

Of course it is Dim,

I am thinking of the Cycads that you won't see ever again in years to come...that the sad part.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

surely insurance will have to pay to go and do it again?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

Thats something else for them to think about RedS,

Not sure if Insurers insure against Image loss, theft in ordinary circumstances yes but on the road I don't know.maybe.

icon_cheers
call

Post by call »

how sad i hope it turns out alright for them
kata

Post by kata »

Me too Call,

Nothing new Call, I have mailed a girl who sent the mail to the list for an update.

:(
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Problems won't come knocking at our door. They appear with ambush and surprise attacks.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Matcycas7 wrote:Problems won't come knocking at our door. They appear with ambush and surprise attacks.
Oh dear, that doesn't sound very safe either Mat :(

Ness