Butia, extra long leaves.

jungle jas

Butia, extra long leaves.

Post by jungle jas »

Last autumn I was given some Butia seedlings by a generious member of this forum. Since Christmas they have been in a propagator and their single strap leaf has grown longer and longer now approximately 350mm and are beginning to bend in an arc due to the length and weight of the leaf. Is this normal? I have never seen a picture of palm seedlings looking like this. Can I expect any more leaves this year? Thanks. icon_thumright
GaryW

Re: Butia, extra long leaves.

Post by GaryW »

What size pots are they in ? Are they getting bright light/some sun too ? (weather permitting of course ! :lol: ) They do spend a lot of time developing roots, but I'm surprised the next leaf isn't on the way by now ?
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GaryW wrote:What size pots are they in ? Are they getting bright light/some sun too ? (weather permitting of course ! :lol: ) They do spend a lot of time developing roots, but I'm surprised the next leaf isn't on the way by now ?
Gary, They are in 100mm pots and in front of a south facing patio door so they get full sun as well as heat from propagator. Heat range 18c at night to 35C during the day! Perhaps I over potted them? that was all I could find at the time. :roll: icon_thumright
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Seems reasonable enough to me, have you tried knocking one gently out of the pot just to check the roots ? At those temps they're gonna need lots of water !
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I haven't taken them out of the pots as I don't want to disturb them but I can see roots in the drainage holes on about 50% of them. I don't think water is a problem as they are growing OK , I just wish they would grow a second leaf as some of the leaves are now arched over and are touching the floor! They just don't look right. But then I've never grown Butia seedlings before perhaps this is normal. icon_scratch icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I'd suspect a combination of etiolation due to low light intensity (has anyone seen the sun this month??), together with the sheltered conditions in the propagator. You'd get a shorter, sturdier leaf if it was exposed to wind and more sun.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Have you considered the possibility that they're hybrids? Do Syagrus have long leaves from the get go? Just a thought??
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

syagrus here are the opposite,in the window i get huge sturdy leaves,out of it shorter and much thinner.
im hoping those p.sunkha crosses are sturdy as i would like to grow them on show in the lounge if they tolerate the conditions
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

redsquirrel wrote:syagrus here are the opposite,in the window i get huge sturdy leaves,out of it shorter and much thinner.
im hoping those p.sunkha crosses are sturdy as i would like to grow them on show in the lounge if they tolerate the conditions
Hi Red, as it was you that gave me the seedlings how are yours doing? Have you got 350mm single strap leaves that are still growing or are you on your second or third leaves. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Conifers, you are right regarding Wind and sun, but I cant put them outside now, as I am sure the slightest breeze would snap them off. I shall have to wait until they grow another leaf and cut the long leaf in half!

Leunerj, I don't think they are hybrids I had them of Red squirrel I think he would have said. :lol: icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

jungle jas wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:syagrus here are the opposite,in the window i get huge sturdy leaves,out of it shorter and much thinner.
Hi Red, as it was you that gave me the seedlings how are yours doing? Have you got 350mm single strap leaves that are still growing or are you on your second or third leaves. icon_thumright
these are the ones given to me as 'strictiors'
ive learned they do not come true from seed but,both green and blue form are rather longer than the odorata and eriospatha i believe them to be related to. i have both forms outside,the green ones snuffed it and the blue ones have come through undamaged.they are not 350 mm but probably a good 200.the green ones were considerably shorter and pretty normal grown directly outside so i would put your leggy plants down to poor light,as in daylight hours in relation to the temp indoors icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

these are the ones given to me as 'strictiors'
ive learned they do not come true from seed but,both green and blue form are rather longer than the odorata and eriospatha i believe them to be related to. i have both forms outside,the green ones snuffed it and the blue ones have come through undamaged.they are not 350 mm but probably a good 200.the green ones were considerably shorter and pretty normal grown directly outside so i would put your leggy plants down to poor light,as in daylight hours in relation to the temp indoors icon_thumright[/quote]

Yes that must be the case, its interesting though that only the Strictiors and Florianoposis have stretched all other palms are OK! They must be more light sensitive I suppose? icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Edit.......... See below.
Last edited by jungle jas on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Should have waited a fortnight, second leaves are now starting to show. :roll: icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

they seem to love water Jas,get them outside on the warm wet days,the rain should do them good but no direct sun,they will scorch for sure.that will be a gently does it job