THE SOUTHSEA CANARY ISLAND PALMS,AN UPDATE.

billdango

Re: THE SOUTHSEA CANARY ISLAND PALMS,AN UPDATE.

Post by billdango »

Dave Brown wrote:They have put on some stonking growth over the last 5 1/2 years. Not really been the best of weather for most of that time. My pic 'Top' was taken on 15th Dec 2006, compared to Bill's 'Bottom' of 29th July 2012
I think I will keep an update on these and any other CIDPs that I can find and post them with pictures at least once a year.

It will be extremly interesting to follow the growth of these palms and to compare how they shape up each year.

The one here in St Denys is growing away fast now and I will have something to show soon.

rgds billdango :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

billdango wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:They have put on some stonking growth over the last 5 1/2 years. Not really been the best of weather for most of that time. My pic 'Top' was taken on 15th Dec 2006, compared to Bill's 'Bottom' of 29th July 2012
I think I will keep an update on these and any other CIDPs that I can find and post them with pictures at least once a year.

It will be extremly interesting to follow the growth of these palms and to compare how they shape up each year.

The one here in St Denys is growing away fast now and I will have something to show soon.

rgds billdango :D
I love to see growth in plants and put the two pics side by side, or one above the other, so you can see at glance the difference. icon_thumleft
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Exotic Life »

Bill,

May I share a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP picture on a dutch facebookgroup about growing palms? They are incredible!
dino

Post by dino »

Yes but what's the link?
Sorry misread that totally.
Last edited by dino on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Exotic Life wrote:Bill,

May I share a Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP picture on a dutch facebookgroup about growing palms? They are incredible!

Help yourself to as many as you like.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

billdango wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:Bill,

May I share a Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP picture on a dutch facebookgroup about growing palms? They are incredible!

Help yourself to as many as you like.

Thanks!
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

I ventured down to Southsea on the weekend, I think I went to the wrong part somehow though!! :lol: :lol:

Heres some pic's I took though

billdango

Post by billdango »

Thats near to the Natural history museum as I remember seeing those palms on the same day that I took the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP pictures.

I was going to post a seperate thread on them later this year after another visit.

The Southsea CIDPs are about a mile further on along Clarence Parade.

Addictedtopalms26

Aw I was close then! I don't know Southsea that well so settled for seeing the palms here. Your right with the location though as we passed the museum :)

Spent quite a lot of money in the arcade on the pier though :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes you were very close! You need to walk past South Parade Pier as far as the Rock Garden (which has a few nice exotics in it too) then cross over the road at the zebra crossing & walk through Burgoyne Gardens with the Butia's. Then once you have walked through there you will see the Phoenix canariensis across the road planted on 'Ladies Mile' icon_thumleft

I notice that the Brahea armata on 'D-Day Island' is looking better now that it has produced shorter & bluer leaves, another has recently been planted on the roundabout by Clarence Pier too icon_thumleft

Here's a map showing where they are...

Red Dot: Brahea armata (in your pics)
Blue Dots: Butia capitata's
Green Dots: Phoenix canariensis
Attachments
Southsea palm map
Southsea palm map
Addictedtopalms26

Oh I was quite close then!! Thank you for the map Nathan, The mrs enjoyed it at Southsea too so we might go back again soon! I was really impressed with the councils work though, being its free to look at too, should fuel everyones addiction for tropics!
billdango

Post by billdango »

Loads of room for more CIDPs and Butias and Jubaeas. :D

Where are they?

billdango icon_scratch