an update on 2 exotic gardens in st denys southampton

Westport007

Re: an update on 2 exotic gardens in st denys southampton

Post by Westport007 »

ya thats true,they do need a sheltered hot spot for them to grow ok.they are alot more tender than passiflora caerula(excuse the spelling),but are lovely. :)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Can't believe I missed this thread! always wondered about the gardens you look after!

Love this pic

Basjoos at that maturity really look tropical as can be!

Is it true passion flowers only last a day? but then with a plant with multiple flowers you get other buds opening throughout the season?

Also when they get killed off do they regrow from base, or from last years "dead wood" icon_scratch
billdango

Post by billdango »

Passionflowers [at least here in Southampton] are rarely killed by the cold but if they do get cut to the ground by either the gardener or by frost they usually grow again from the base.

I did lose 2 plants during that awful winter of 2011 when the temperature got down to -6.9c on 2 nights but only one was lost in St denys palm garden.

I will probably replace these later when I can find some replacements but they are not cheap to buy.

Will update this thread again later.

billdango icon_sunny
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

Aldi do have them from to time in small pots and are fairly reasonable too price wise!!keep an eye for them.
billdango wrote:Passionflowers [at least here in Southampton] are rarely killed by the cold but if they do get cut to the ground by either the gardener or by frost they usually grow again from the base.

I did lose 2 plants during that awful winter of 2011 when the temperature got down to -6.9c on 2 nights but only one was lost in St denys palm garden.

I will probably replace these later when I can find some replacements but they are not cheap to buy.

Will update this thread again later.

billdango icon_sunny
billdango

Post by billdango »

Thanks Westport,

I will check out Aldi on Saturday when I do my shopping but the Range is another good hunting ground for passion flowers so I will check them out as well.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft