Southsea Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seed germinated !!!

Dave Brown

Southsea Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seed germinated !!!

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi All,

This could be a momentus moment! I picked a mostly green Phoenix canariensis_CIDP fruit back in December,from a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP at Southsea, Portsmouth, just around the corner from where my son's halls are. In fact I set out at 6 am to go an collect him for his Christmas holidays. The journey was quiet, and I knew he had partied the night before, so went down to the common, as I was early. I got some bemused looks from a couple of local dog walkers as I inspected the trees, and talked to my, appearent still camera, but was actually videoing... I picked one seed only as they did not look ripe. Ittok it home and it ripened on the kitchen windowsill. It was sown on 18th January, while the storm raged around us, and has germinated on Feb 3rd. I didn't announce immediately as some seedlings keel over and die in the first few days. It is looking strong, and maybe due to provenence id will be hardier than the norm.

Visit http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Palms/P ... uthsea.php for more details.

Best Regards
Dave
Vic

Post by Vic »

Well done Dave, i remember the first time i saw these some years back after a friend told me about them.

They have grown so much in the last 3 years, before this there was not much of a noticable trunk. IMO they are better than the torquay ones. As you say it should prove pretty hardy given its provenance.

Cheers
Vic
mixiepalms

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by mixiepalms »

dave well done. Interesting that one can do this.
They are certainly impressive cidps.
Hi Vic. Im mick aka mixie friend of the pixie.
mixiepixie.monnfruit.com is the website pixie mentioned.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks Guys,

If I'd known that it would ripen I would have picked more. The guy who inspired the Council to plant them, Nate Wilson, has picked a few since I said they ripened, but I'm not sure how many he has. He's going to send them, or at least some of them, off to proffessional growers to germinate.

It could be the biggest thing since the Timaru CIDPs 10 or so years ago. We did have a very hot early summer last year, so we will just have to see how it goes this year. I just hope the tourists don't pick them in the summer while completely unripe. They have to stay on the tree until fully formed. I'm potting the little fella (SCIDP)up today. Using Westland Multi with added John Innes, mixed with 40% perilite. Does that sound reasonable?

Best Regards
Dave

For webpage Click Here
Last edited by Dave Brown on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

fingers crossed

Post by mixiepalms »

Dave hope the bubba grows well, it is my fave palm by a long shot. Not cos it is common, but because of its big fronds and height. The best one I have seen is at kew in the temperate house.

Ive never managed to get abroad because my son has a peanut and nut allergy and Gina my dearest wont go abroad on holiday cos of the risk.

Feel a solo holdiay coming on, well in my dreams!!!

Going to cornwall this year. I have one day to myself to visit gardens. So am going for heligan. Eden doesnt really appeal to be honest. Might make a detour to a garden centre or 5 lol.
mixiepalms

website wrong

Post by mixiepalms »

should be the following

http://mixiepixie.moonfruit.com/

is a mickey take in a way but the pics are mine and pixie aka alans gardens.
Vic

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by Vic »

mixiepalms wrote:dave well done. Interesting that one can do this.
They are certainly impressive cidps.
Hi Vic. Im mick aka mixie friend of the pixie.
mixiepixie.monnfruit.com is the website pixie mentioned.
Hi Mick, i spoke in length to Alan (aka pixie) and he told be about this site. I thought i had a problem until i visited your site! all of a sudden i feel normal again :lol: :lol:

Looks like you have put alot of effort into it, nice one.

Alan probably told you i visited his garden when i was over last weekend, i know its crowded but i love it and i always come away with a smile on my face
:)

By the way i had i -7c last week, coldest for 5 years for me, although this is my first winter in Ashford, no more chatham microclimate :(
mixiepalm

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by mixiepalm »

Allo Vic

I love his garden too but always wind him up about being too crowded. He takes it too heart lol bless him.

Alan showed some pics he took of your garden when you first moved to Ashford.

Did you leave that Trachycarpus in the old garden????

The thing with Alans garden that makes me smile is the hunt a plant lol.

Glad you like the site lol. Dont worry we are all mad in the world of exotics??????

:lol: :oops: :P
Vic

Post by Vic »

Mick, I left both the trachies in the ground, as i decided they were too big to move and would have damaged the roots too much as they had been in the ground a long while. They would have taken ages to get going again IMO. They are looking great by the way, i visited them at the weekend.

All the plants i have put in the ground at my new place have been relatively small (under 6ft) and have all been pot grown, so they were all itching to be planted out last spring and made good growth last year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Vic wrote:Mick, I left both the trachies in the ground, as i decided they were too big to move and would have damaged the roots too much as they had been in the ground a long while. They would have taken ages to get going again IMO. They are looking great by the way, i visited them at the weekend.
Vic, it is possible to move large trachies quite well, but I know what you mean... a 6 footer with soilball would be the best part of a ton. Then you have to transport it.

There was quite a large one, maybe 10 feet tall, about a mile from me. I used to look at it every time I drove passed. Then one day it had gone. Curious, I knocked and asked where the palm had gone. The guy said "it was here when we moved in, but it got too big and was cutting out the light, so we chopped it down :shock: :( :( He chopped it down !!! :( He then complained it was so heavy they had to hire someone to take it away!

I'll put tree preservation orders on mine if I move, or even better sell up to someone interested in the palms.

Best regards
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vic »

Dave Brown wrote:
Vic wrote:Mick, I left both the trachies in the ground, as i decided they were too big to move and would have damaged the roots too much as they had been in the ground a long while. They would have taken ages to get going again IMO. They are looking great by the way, i visited them at the weekend.
Vic, it is possible to move large trachies quite well, but I know what you mean... a 6 footer with soilball would be the best part of a ton. Then you have to transport it.

There was quite a large one, maybe 10 feet tall, about a mile from me. I used to look at it every time I drove passed. Then one day it had gone. Curious, I knocked and asked where the palm had gone. The guy said "it was here when we moved in, but it got too big and was cutting out the light, so we chopped it down :shock: :( :( He chopped it down !!! :( He then complained it was so heavy they had to hire someone to take it away!

I'll put tree preservation orders on mine if I move, or even better sell up to someone interested in the palms.

Best regards
Dave
Dave, thats very sad to hear about the 10 footer. I guess not everyone values them as highly as us?

My old trachies were in the ground as small plants and after only a couple of years were off like a train so even though i have planted 3 in my garden (4 waggies and 1 that was sold to me as takil from the PC?) that are only 2-3 ft, i know in a few years i will have better plants than if i was to buy skinny trunked 6ft palms.

Mixie, talking of rescue palms, as Alan did so well with the wooly palm rescue i gave him i've decided to give him another challenge and let him have one of my phoenix theophrastii's that spear pulled last winter, it does have some new growth by i have a replacement one now. He will have to collect though!!

Vic
mixepalm

Post by mixepalm »

"Mixie, talking of rescue palms, as Alan did so well with the wooly palm rescue i gave him i've decided to give him another challenge and let him have one of my phoenix theophrastii's that spear pulled last winter, it does have some new growth by i have a replacement one now. He will have to collect though!!"

Hee hee bet Sharon will love that. Dave, Sharon is Alans wife. She is a palm widow.

Another chance to wind her up. I owe you one Vic. Are you selling any of your babies yet Vic?

Mixie
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Yes Mixie, will have to sell some this year, i'm quickly running out of space! The wife is very tolerant (at the moment). Are you after anything in particular? I guess Alan has told you what i'm growing.

Vic[/quote]

No he didnt Vic.
Could you email with what you will have available and prices etc. Will have to pop over with the little fella sooon. If thats ok with you?

[email protected]

regards

Mick
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just an update on the Southsea Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. The seed has not sent up a spike yet, although it can take up to a month.

BUT... I went down to Portsmouth for a long weekend last weekend, and spent quite a bit of time with the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. The situation looks like this:

The palms have either 2 or 3 sets of flower branches. The mature fruit appears to be in its third year! with small dark green fruit on the 2nd year branches, and unopened buds on the lastest branches. These will probably be pollented later in the year.

All the flower branches on the windward side have withered so I presume the flowers/buds/fruit have been blown off on that side. Fruit was only evident on the leeward side of the female palms.

Not many fruit was set on any of the branches, although the branch in bud has a full set of buds. This suggests that there is a problem with pollenation. These palms are about 150 yards apart, so could do with a bit of manual help, unfortunately all the new flower branches are well out of reach without a ladder, and protected by the thorny leaf bases of the crown. Looks like they will have to take their chances left to nature.

Finally, I picked a few mature fruit, as the last one ripened successfully, and these are now ripening on the sunny kitchen windowsill.

Watch this space.

Best regards
Dave

PS a lot more updates to web and Gallery when time allows.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

Dave

Look foward to the updates,
mine is i lost my 4 yr old dacti. core rot.
think i mother my palms too much. As in trying to keep them too warm.

Posted on the palm centre discussion forum for the fisrt time. Coconut palms. rip off from all garden centres. I did metion that kew had 2 dwarf palms. In the end I had an apology that i was right. makes a change lol.

Dave the arums looking bit sorry for themselves but still sound. Do you still want them????? Leaves all gone but "trunks" as it were still solid.

Palmy days ahead

Mixie