Southsea Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seed germinated !!!

Las Palmas Norte

Re: One year ago Little Sid was sown

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

That's great Dave! :D I've also noticed the same with regards to initial root development on most Phoenix species. So ... is this the first of it's kind in England that you're aware of, or has anyone there grown Phoenix canariensis from seed collected there?

Cheers, Barrie.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Dave I have been buying plastic pint glasses for my date palms. If I had known about paper tubes I could have saved a few coppers, 'am I tight or what'.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

scrimflicker wrote:Dave 'am I tight or what'.
I was once told no-one ever got rich by spending all their money :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:That's great Dave! :D I've also noticed the same with regards to initial root development on most Phoenix species. So ... is this the first of it's kind in England that you're aware of, or has anyone there grown Phoenix canariensis from seed collected there?

Cheers, Barrie.
Barrie, I missed this post somehow. Yes it seems to be the 'first documented' collection, sowing and germination of English grown Phoenix Canariensis seed. Although Barry in Edmonton (north London, not Canada) does not seem far behind with his own palms, so that will be another first. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Barry1 »

Hello Dave,
heres Sids little cousin "Lid" planted the other day I'm not sure if it will germinate because this one fell off the palm I think a little bit early.
Barry. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Barry, Hey 8) We're starting a craze.

The seed looks ok, they tend to be very pale if not ripe. The main thing is preventing rot, so ensure every last trace of flesh is gone, and the kitchen towel is almost wrung dry. Is just needs a humid enviromnment. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

October Update icon_salut

Little SID has continued to grow well and in July his 5th leaf showed the first signs of splitting.
210708 pics 007.jpg
As we have gone through the late summer and into autumn Little SID has gone from strength to strength with leaf 6 and 7 being properly split. Growth is now accelerating as he has gone through the transition from single individual leaves one after another, to the conveyor belt style of growth with multiple leaves emerging at the same time. Leaf 6 is nearly full grown leaf 7 half grown and leaf 8 a spear. icon_cheers
19102008 Little Sid.jpg
I have been asked about the temperature Little SID has been grown at. I don't believe in molly coddleing my palms, I grow them tough, so right from the start he has been subjected to near outside contidions. being outside in all but the coldest winter weather. I move him under the covered bit in snowy conditions, but has withstood a frost of -1.4C outside and -2C under cover. This shows the rate of growth we might expect from a self sown seedling here. icon_salut
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Includes some pretty radicle pics there Dave...

Post by mikefromniagara6b »

Nice photoessay of the parent palm and the growth of its offspring. I love seeing Phoenix palms in cool winter places....

Novel biodegradeable and inexpensive pot idea! A friend uses plastic bag tubes to grow camellia seedlings for tap root development.

I like the tree tubes you can get which are long and narrow but your paper pot is a great idea. Always wondered why there are not taller narrow pots at garden centres for the same... like maybe 10 cm diameter and 30-50 cm or more tall. Sure would increase the hardiness of plants to both surface drought and ground freeze when planted out. AND they could squeeze more plants into the same size area for economy and allow proper root development.

I have to prune the roots of the potted Phoenix palms here as they push themselves up and out of their pots every few years.

Thanks!
Adrian

Re: First UK grown Canary Island Date Palm seed germinated !!!

Post by Adrian »

OK dave so how about an update two and a half years down the line.
Mine has pinnate leaves now but has basically been left to get on with it, no feed no mollycoddling and still in a pot thats a bit too small.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade, I have spend about 1/2 hour looking through pics and I dont seem to have taken one since Feb 2009 :roll: Here is that pic, but I'll take another tomorrow. Sid has been grown cold and probably a bit too dry this year. He is still in the same pot so is definately due for a pot upgrade next year.
270209 SIDP .jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Heres a couple of pictures of mine, obviously not mollycoddled and in need of a repot.
This one lives just outside the greenhouse but was put inside last winter (hence it still being alive)
Attachments
IMG_4005 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4003 (Medium).JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yours has caught up Ade, but they were only about 3 months apart germination wise. Took a pic today.
110909 Little SID.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

As you can see from the lower leaves, it didnt have the easiest of starts but its moving now.
Anyone else with one to compare?
John P

Post by John P »

Yes Ade I have 007. Its just over 2 years old and starting to produce split leaves.

John

Darlo Mark

Re: Southsea Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seed germinated !!!

Post by Darlo Mark »

just read this thread, really interesting. How did Sid fare over the hard winter?
if he survived , any chance of an update?