Butyagrus

JakoMonster

Butyagrus

Post by JakoMonster »

Tempted to buy Butiagrus found them on this good website http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/category.asp?section=18 (i already ordered a syagrus santa) i was wondering what are there growth rate do you think would stand a chance growing outdoors where i am? i have no idea really on hardniess of these.
Nigel

Re: Butyagrus

Post by Nigel »

Jack, you probably have a better chance than most being in Worthing.
They are pretty hardy down to -8C and can probably recover from a few degrees more. They grow quite slowly though. Having said that I saw one growing on the outskirts of London with drip irrigation, and it was growing as fast as in a hot country. It died though in the winter of 2010 like many other palms that had survived 3 decades.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Nigel wrote:Jack, you probably have a better chance than most being in Worthing.
They are pretty hardy down to -8C and can probably recover from a few degrees more. They grow quite slowly though. Having said that I saw one growing on the outskirts of London with drip irrigation, and it was growing as fast as in a hot country. It died though in the winter of 2010 like many other palms that had survived 3 decades.
Sounds promising :) i'm think might give one ago, is it you who owns the site?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I guess it depends a lot on the hardiness of the mother plant?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I bought a 5L 3yr. old narbonandii (Santa Catarina pollen parent) from Nigel earlier this year. It made little or no growth during the early part of summer, but has thrown 2 leaves plus a well developed spike since the end of August. Too young to risk outside for this coming winter, so it will be brought in soon. Currently it is in a 15L container and will be eventually planted out, but next spring it will potted into a plasterer's bucket which will provide a good deep root run. I suspect that if any narbonandiis are likely to survive long term in the UK it will be those from this parentage.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Jacko yes.
Some time ago before the economy dived and cold winters set in I imported Butyagrus from both Florida and Brazil, in good sizes to 110 litre pot size.
The following winter saw -9C in the greenhouse. There was around 10 Florida ones left and 7 or 8 from Brazil, all together in same spot in greenhouse.
The Florida ones were more beautiful, better rooted and had been pot grown. The Florida ones ALL defoliated, spear pulled and died. The Brazil ones were untouched.

In Brazil , the queens from Santa Catarina can see as much as -10C in an extremem winter. The winter before last it was -8C and they suffered 50% burn. Queens imported from further north defoliated or died.
I therefore have to conclude the extra hardiness of the Butyagrus from Brazil is down to the queen pollen coming from a hardy queen variety.

Dave, it sounds to me like your palm was putting down its roots , it seems to have done quite well for its first year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have 2 Butyagrus which I bought as 1 leaf seedlings. They are now just starting to split the leaves, but have not been exposed to any frost.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by DaveP »

Our coldest winter in 30 years saw temps fall to -6C. Since then I've had nothing below -2C. here so I'm cautiously optimistic for its future. Hopefully, planting in a deep, but relatively narrow container (plasterers bucket is at a very rough guess 40cms diameter & 75cms high) should enable it to develop a really good root system. Plenty of very gritty loam for this one :D
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Nigel wrote:Jacko yes.
Some time ago before the economy dived and cold winters set in I imported Butyagrus from both Florida and Brazil, in good sizes to 110 litre pot size.
The following winter saw -9C in the greenhouse. There was around 10 Florida ones left and 7 or 8 from Brazil, all together in same spot in greenhouse.
The Florida ones were more beautiful, better rooted and had been pot grown. The Florida ones ALL defoliated, spear pulled and died. The Brazil ones were untouched.

In Brazil , the queens from Santa Catarina can see as much as -10C in an extremem winter. The winter before last it was -8C and they suffered 50% burn. Queens imported from further north defoliated or died.
I therefore have to conclude the extra hardiness of the Butyagrus from Brazil is down to the queen pollen coming from a hardy queen variety.

Dave, it sounds to me like your palm was putting down its roots , it seems to have done quite well for its first year.

interesting :) was is the florida type?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

No, I only have ones I made myself now, with santa catarina queen pollen.
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Nigel,

My large Brazilian import is still alive and well, I had -10C on two nights last winter, but with a little protection it suffered no damage (For anyone else reading I'm not suggesting they are hardy at -10C, I don't know how low it got beneath the protection), but crucially the very cold nights were followed by +5 to 8C days.

It's still in it's pot, I've got a major soil improvement to complete before it gets planted permenantly.

Jon