Queen in December

Axel

Queen in December

Post by Axel »

I planted this in March 2012. It grew some nice fronds after complete defoliation by the spring sun... icon_bigsmurf
Attachments
20121202-00244.jpg
Conifers

Re: Queen in December

Post by Conifers »

It'd look better planted the right way up :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Yep, I don't do upside down,

It makes me feel disorientated like at the Knebworth park Queen concert.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It looks nice...your palm. icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

You will need to get that protection ready soon Axel?

Its hard enough getting my Syagrus through the winter and I am sure it gets a lot colder where you live.

Tie a nice hot water bottle near the growing point and wrap the rest of the palm esp when it drops below -2c and it might be okay.

I think that near Roscoff in Brittany France they [Syagrus Romanzoffianum] grow to a huge size with no winter protection as does Caryota Mitis.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

How many leaves have opened on it since planted up?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Here's mine taken a couple of days ago.
IMG_0581.JPG
The wind and general lack of summer have taken their toll, but they are still alive.

icon_thumleft
Axel

Post by Axel »

Hi guys,

yes i will protect the main trunk soon with christmas lights and a wrapping.

There are three trunks in total and the smallest and middle both grew one frond and a small spear.

The largest trunk opened a spear in the weeks after i planted it and then grew one and a half new frond. The half frond might actally be near full size now because it developed completely in the outside conditions (after having grown in a heated greenhouse for 2 years). So that means the newly developed fronds outside will get shorter and shorter.

In short all the fronds you see have opened/grown in Holland (except the brown one on the left, thats a greenhouse frond burned by spring sun).
But, i have, every now and then, warmed the soil and trunks during the night with a heating cable.
Ofcourse there will be no fronds left after this winter so lets see if i can kick it back to life in March.
Last edited by Axel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Mine here in Southampton has only grown 2 new leaves this year due to the cold sunless summer but seems okay at the moment.

I will of coarse be fully protecting it from tomorrow night onwards?

rgds billdango icon_sunny
Axel

Post by Axel »

Mike, are these 2012 fronds? The palm looks fine to me, just like a young queen would.
Axel

Post by Axel »

The trunks, im sorry about the picture.
Attachments
IMG-20121028-00205.jpg
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Axel wrote:Mike, are these 2012 fronds? The palm looks fine to me, just like a young queen would.
Yes, photo taken just before the cold weather arrived. Currently they are wrapped in dust sheets.

Wind and lack of summer have made the fronds scruffy.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Axel wrote:Mike, are these 2012 fronds? The palm looks fine to me, just like a young queen would.
I just realised what you mean.

No they are last years fronds. Apart from the central spear growing taller and starting to open, no real growth this year.

I'm hoping for a mild winter followed by the longest hottest summer ever.

:lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Nice to hear of even a little royal movement icon_queen

My queen is now in residence in the stately home with its 3m plus ceilings just accommodating the fronds until the Spring. I hope to keep it active as the only growth I managed this season was a barely visible spear opening to about 90% capacity. There is only one other leaf on it as high winds snapped two older leaves on it a few weeks after purchase the previous autumn :(
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

MikeC wrote:The wind and general lack of summer have taken their toll, but they are still alive.
Yes, the wind and lack of summer are still alive :cry:
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

Here are mine, they get no protection so look a bit scruffy. I got these last autumn and each put out one leaf each in a year :? The one with only one leaf had another but it snapped in last year's winter storms.
Attachments
20121223_122110.jpg
20121223_122127.jpg