Bismark Palm

billdango

Re: Bismark Palm

Post by billdango »

When I was living in Australia [Townsville,queensland] I had a small specimen of this palm in my back garden.

Even there in a tropical climate it was a pretty slow grower and had only produced 4 leaves by the time I moved house a year later.

But I do believe that it grows much faster in the hot humid climates of Thailand and Venezuela.

The average daily maximums that I recorded in Townsville in the hot season was around +33c.

And the average daily maximums that I recorded in the cooler wetter months was around +24c.

The highest maximum I recorded was +41c.

And the lowest maximum that I recorded in the cold months was +16c.

I think that the coldest night temperature That I recorded was +8c.

The size of the specimen in my back garden in Townsville was about 6 feet in hieght and spread.

The house and the palm tree mentioned was destroyed in a cyclone the following year....

billdango icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

But I do believe that it grows much faster in the hot humid climates of Thailand and Venezuela.
I did read it was a fast grower but that was in Florida.

Pity you lost it Bill.
:(
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

These are beautiful palms and there are some HUGE ones in Florida. love looking at them when I go. I have 5 seeds in the prop but they just don't want to germinate. I will say this though most of Florida except the southern tip ( Florida keys, miami dade ) sees some cold during the winter. most of Florida will get down to 0c at some point in the winter if only for a few hours a night. Look for the silver type and do your best I think you can keep one alive as an indoor/outdoor palm for a good while. If my seeds will ever open I'll have a few and send you one.
kata

Post by kata »

Awe, how kind you are Mike,

Thank you very much!

icon_cheers
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have to get the seeds to open up first :lol: they are being stubborn. maybe over the summer they will work out cus they prop is not getting them anywhere.
kata

Post by kata »

Don't get anxious about the seedlngs Mike,

I never did get any kind to do anything for me so I know it can be a bit stressy for the want of a better word.

At a push there is always this one to fall back on, and its silver so more hardy.

http://tinyurl.com/ct9abq2

icon_sunny icon_cheers
Steph

Post by Steph »

kata wrote:
At a push there is always this one to fall back on, and its silver so more hardy.

http://tinyurl.com/ct9abq2
I don't know where you get ideas about hardiness and silver from, but a Bismarkia is silver and totally not hardy.

Beautiful yes but not for outside in the UK.

If you leave it outside for more than the summer, its a dead palm............
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

:lol: people on the UK ebay do the same as the US. I acually thought for a second you were getting that large palm in the first picture for £11 :lol: I was about to order 5. tricky with the pictures. If I had to guess I would say these are hardy to 0c or maybe a tiny bit below but not much. I know they grow them at disney world in Orlando and it was -2c there last night but they are well established palms. I would make it a container palm until it was just to large then build it a mini green house in the winter around it if planted out..you got a 50/50 chance then.
kata

Post by kata »

I acually thought for a second you were getting that large palm in the first picture for £11
Ah Mike...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always scroll for whats actually being offered, always.

Steph, I still would give a Bismark a go, thanks!! Remember how Phoenix canariensis_CIDP were non runners at one time.

icon_cheers
Steph

Post by Steph »

kata wrote:Remember how Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP were non runners at one time.
No, I don't remember that mine have been outside for years... and my Bismarkia is doing well but then it doesn't spend a lot of time outside.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

kata wrote:
I acually thought for a second you were getting that large palm in the first picture for £11
Ah Mike...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always scroll for whats actually being offered, always.

Steph, I still would give a Bismark a go, thanks!! Remember how Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP were non runners at one time.

icon_cheers
But Phoenix canariensis are much more cold tolerant than Bismarkia, they are also able to grow in cool temperate climates, Bismarkia wont. By all mean buy one, but keep it as a house/conservatory plant & put outside for the summer. They will not survive even an exceptionally mild winter outside in warmer parts of the UK, so they have zero chance where you live...
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote: Remember how Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP were non runners at one time.
And still are, in 99.8% of Britain!
kata

Post by kata »

I can keep one in the lounge,

It gets very warm and in summer lots of sun through the window when it shines. Hopefully more next year than this wash out of a summer.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Steph

Post by Steph »

I have done it at last... a pic of my Bissy
Three pristine leaves and another opening.
Attachments
Bissy.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: Thats lovely Steph... icon_cheers

Will you keep it inside?

Thanks for sharing your home, and Bissy.... icon_cheers