Trachycarpus x

allangreenbean

Trachycarpus x

Post by allangreenbean »

Does anyone grow Trachycarpus fortunei x wagnerianus or wagnerianus x fortunei?

If so how wind resistant is it and is it hardier than a waggie?

What about growth rate and size?

Pics would be great:)
jezza

Re: Trachycarpus x

Post by jezza »

I grow wag x fort but they are only two year old seedlings so cannot comment on wind resistance. They have been quite slow but they have been cold grown. Even at such a small size, in december they took -4c followed the next night with -7c & are totally unmarked!
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Hi Allan,

I 'grew' what was labelled as Trachycarpus x Waggy (Japanese form) it had bigger leaves than Waggy but were stiff, never flopped in the wind like a fortuneii, always looked good, in fact it was growing up to be the best looking Trachycarpus in my garden. I had it for a few years from a tiny seedling, and was about 3 or so ft. when it died in 2010/2011 winter, but so did my good size waggie (4ft trunk) die as well, so for me don't know whether it was any hardier than a waggie. I found it no faster or slower than a normal Trachi.

Fortunei x Waggie
Picture 882 [640x480].jpg
Di
Last edited by DiCasS on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

I found this,
Absolutely the best palm for your garden. Superior in every way to Trachycarpus fortunei we believe this palm will one day replace the common fortunei as most popular palm.

Our reasons for thinking this :
- Very tolerant to cold in combination with humidity
- Small and stiff leaves, more suitable for small gardens
- Due to the shape (bonsai like) an enormous customer appeal
- In my experience no problems keeping this palm potted in winter close to a wall
- Great tolerance of wind, the major enemy of T. fortunei
- The perfect choice for coastal situations
- Excellent root system and very tolerant of transplantation.

Unlike Trachycarpus fortunei the palm seems to originate from Japan and Korea at higher latitudes. This means the palm needs to adapt to more summer heat and humidity combined with extreme winter cold, making it by far the most adaptable cold hardy palm in existence.

Otherwise very similar in cultural requirements to Trachycarpus fortunei.
icon_sunny
jezza

Post by jezza »

That's info about wagnerianus from the gardenpalms website kata . We're talking about the hybrid with fortunei.
kata

Post by kata »

Sorry Jez,

Here is one I DID buy, don't ask me where it is now. Its in the garden somewhere in a pot.

When I do find it I can say how it did.
trachicarpuswagnerianus.png
:mrgreen:
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Looks like we are going to get some cold weather so will be interesting to see how different species perform.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:I found this,
Absolutely the best palm for your garden. Superior in every way to Trachycarpus fortunei we believe this palm will one day replace the common fortunei as most popular palm.

Our reasons for thinking this :
- Very tolerant to cold in combination with humidity
- Small and stiff leaves, more suitable for small gardens
- Due to the shape (bonsai like) an enormous customer appeal
- In my experience no problems keeping this palm potted in winter close to a wall
- Great tolerance of wind, the major enemy of T. fortunei
- The perfect choice for coastal situations
- Excellent root system and very tolerant of transplantation.

Unlike Trachycarpus fortunei the palm seems to originate from Japan and Korea at higher latitudes. This means the palm needs to adapt to more summer heat and humidity combined with extreme winter cold, making it by far the most adaptable cold hardy palm in existence.

Otherwise very similar in cultural requirements to Trachycarpus fortunei.
icon_sunny
Sales patter,

A waggie is no more hardy than fortunei, in fact a waggie is a type, or cultivar, of fortunei, not a species. It is no smaller than standard fortunei once mature, other than the leaflets are shorter on the leaves.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by allangreenbean »

[/quote]
Sales patter,

A waggie is no more hardy than fortunei, in fact a waggie is a type, or cultivar, of fortunei, not a species. It is no smaller than standard fortunei once mature, other than the leaflets are shorter on the leaves.[/quote]

Does a waggie grow to the same height as fortunei? I always see waggies being referred to as dwarf, less hardy but smaller stiffer leaves.

There's so much conflicting info on the net but I'd take the practical experience and knowledge at HTUK over any other source icon_salut
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

"Semi-dwarf" would be a better description - the leaves are smaller and it is slower-growing (inevitable as it has less leaf area to photosynthesize with) but it will ultimately get as tall as a 'regular' T. fortunei.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

here's a Waggie I saw at Kew Gardens London, they can end up looking ugly when mature. I was nervous about two I bought ending up like this so I gave one to my uncle and one to my grandmother lol.

allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

That just looks silly :lol:

Although that palm has probably been there since before the dinosaurs.
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: totally outa place.. :lol: :lol:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

greendragon wrote:here's a Waggie I saw at Kew Gardens London, they can end up looking ugly when mature. I was nervous about two I bought ending up like this so I gave one to my uncle and one to my grandmother lol.

Would have looked nicer with some of the lower leaves intact still.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i think if a waggie gets like that it would need the trunk strippng to give it a better proportional look.