Another new palm

miketropic

Another new palm

Post by miketropic »

The story is far to long to share so the short bit is I have been looking for a lady palm for awhile and couldn't find one. I came upon one today and when I asked how much I just metioned Id really like a var. form one day.. the lady pulled one out and sat it on the counter..same price as the regular one. I got it home and after counting realised there are 20 canes in this pot :shock: I'm going to repot and MAYBE seperate a few out in the spring. so glad I picked this up today. Don't know what one it really is but I like it none the less.

fern Rob

Re: Another new palm

Post by fern Rob »

Do they act like a bamboo, having runners to create the canes, it is defiantly unusual good purchase.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I would say there more like a clumping bamboo creating the canes. from all I have read there strictly a house palm and you can divide the canes regularly and have them in multiple rooms over time. this one is about 3 ft tall and I don;t think it will get to much taller so it will just keep dividing with time.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's a nice looking plant.

Odd but nice. It bare;y resembles a palm and yet.... I'm confused by it I guess.

I do like it though.

;)
kata

Post by kata »

Nice looking palm Mike,

I like the contrasting green and cream effect.

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Great palm Mike. Not seen a varigated one that big before.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

me either and I always say when you see somthing you haven't seen or its strange and unusal the time to buy it is when you see it so I couldnt go home with out it. I made a 2 hour trip one direction to find this greenhouse and I wasnt planning on comming back with an empty car anyway...just didn't know I was going to find that beauty.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its definatly a lady palm.

They do have a problem with just keeling over for no apparant reason or they get scale insects with the same end results so I gave up on them years ago.

Good luck with it anyway.

billdango :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Never convinced by most variegated palms but this one is definitely the exception.

I hope you're patient, Mike, as they are all very slow and the variegated is even slower. No problem as you already have a beauty, there.

There is a twenty year old dense clump of the all-green version on a raised bed at my Canary Islands home and even in that sub-tropical climate it is only four feet wide.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have heard scale is a problem with these. I think I am going to break the clump in half come summer so I have twins and then let them go from there. I figure 20 cans, 10 per pot I will still have a fairly bushy palm when I'm done. might show off the varigation a bit if there not so tightly packed together. I hope I can get it to thrive here. I'll put it outside in the summer in some shade and have it here in the media room all winter.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Lady palm. Put several 12 footers in an office,nice plants easy to keep.Tips get a bit brown but it needs very litttle light icon_sunny
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well I know its a var lady palm but there are about 5 or 6 named var. cultivars..I have narrowed it down and I think this one is what they call "KOI" but I'm not 100% sure