Post by Dave Brown »

I have finally got around to updating my Butia odorata webpage. :wink:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/page.php?id=62
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Butia Odorata webpage updated

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nicely done Dave, very informative and comprehensive background notes.

I hadn't realised that Capitata had been renamed and I have been reading stuff on Oderata wondering if I should get one without realising I already have one :lol:

Reading your notes on potted ones being more susceptible to cold has convinced me to get mine in the ground. I dug down last spring but hit a drainage pipe so decided to keep it potted in it's current location but now I am tempted to wash out the roots and drape it over and around the pipe. I realise this may mean it breaks into the pipe for water eventually but it should offer good root protection as the pipe is fed by the sinks and baths of 4 houses so should have a warming effect year round.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Wouldnt that be asking for trouble if its completely b*ggers the pipe up and you end up having to dig half the garden up to replace the damaged pipe?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Palm roots don't break drains like some tree roots can. Each root is no thicker than a little finger and does not increase in size. It probably isn't wise to plant over the top though, as if any work is required in future it would involve having to dig the palm out.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Tree roots don't 'break drains' - they find leaks in drains resulting from other causes, and then grow into the drain for the extra water and nutrient supply. Once inside the drain, they (palm roots included) proliferate and block the drain's water flow. So palms aren't any better, or worse, than any other trees. It's the quality of the drain that matters.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:Tree roots don't 'break drains' - they find leaks in drains resulting from other causes, and then grow into the drain for the extra water and nutrient supply. Once inside the drain, they (palm roots included) proliferate and block the drain's water flow. So palms aren't any better, or worse, than any other trees. It's the quality of the drain that matters.
Well, I've never had problems with my palm roots as they are a max of 10mm diameter. Tree roots thicken as they grow. When I dug a 10 year self sown Ash tree out, the roots were 20cm (8") thick even 10 feet or so from the trunk.

This is a cherry tree root :ahhh!:
Attachments
060909 Cherry root.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Very professional, Dave icon_thumright

The roots of a large Gleditsia 'sunburst' have spread right underneath my Butia which is planted about a metre above grass level on a large rockery. If anyone has ever dug out or into these roots, they don't smell very nice. I'm pleased to say the roots of my renamed Capitata should keep those of the Gleditsia well out of the way.

For its ability to keep smells away underfoot, I hereby rename my Pindo: Butia Odoreater :mrgreen:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

That picture is exactly why I keep putting off digging the cherry tree on my front out! If I did I could buy the large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP for £75 I've had my eye on in a local nursery. Nice page update Dave! icon_thumleft
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Dave what pine tree do you have in that front border over the Odorata?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

greendragon wrote:Dave what pine tree do you have in that front border over the Odorata?
Pinus patula