How wide borders?

Post by kata »

How wide should borders be for palms?

Thanks!

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Re: How wide borders?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You don't need a border for a palm, they don't spread so you just need a hole.

The size of a border with a palm in it deepends entirely on what else you want to grow beneath and around your palm.

;)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

If you are making a border Kata dont make it a skinny border, I hate Skinny borders :mrgreen:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Your boarder needs to be as wide as possible so that you get get all the other plants around the palm icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Palms do come with outward growing spears G,
march3.jpg
If I was to plant that along the fence spears would bash against it.

It won't be a skinny one Dee, I was thinking something like yours... icon_cheers

Someone called that a border to the left Dee.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your boarder needs to be as wide as possible so that you get get all the other plants around the palm
I agree Tom I have shrubs too, plenty of border by cutting into the lawn and...less mowing.
:lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone!!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Nice palm Kata!! Definitely need a good boarder for that icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Lovely Palms Kata, The border at the back with the Pebbles looks nice and wide or are you thinking of making a new one?
Caprier

Post by Caprier »

Hi Kata, one option in garden design is to have the lawn a perfect geometric shape and then everything around it is border 8) Another is to scrap the lawn and have a path meandering amongst the plants icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Tom!!

Dee, no way could I use that space for planting, its Leylandy area and I never put them in. They are old, bare and gray with holes... icon_cheers

Its an area that will be full of tree roots, there used to be a yellow and green fllor plant there so that will have left roots after I killed it off.

The pebbles are on top of a grey plastic and holds water. for there more pebbles and the trees trimmed a nice box shape.

Hi Caprier;
one option in garden design is to have the lawn a perfect geometric shape and then everything around it is border
That is a way forward from what I have seen of some gardens so thanks!!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Trachycarpus can be 11 foot wide wen fully grown, so needs to be 5 1/2 foot from the fence unless you want it to overhang into the neighbours garden and risk getting the leaves cut off :ahhh!: icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks JJ,

I had almost decided to plant the Trachi where it is but then someone mentioned elsewhere about a palm becoming a center piece..sounds good.

Washing line needs to go though.. :mrgreen: d

Borders still need cutting out though when weather Improves. A decent frost again this morning.. :(

icon_cheers icon_cheers
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi Kata, that is a lovely Trachycarpus you have there.I have a few that need planting out as well, but like you, the weather is stopping me :evil: I'm off for a few days at Easter, so am hoping the weather picks up by then so I can get them in the ground. :)
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Dorothy!!

I love my palm, brings me many a happy moment just looking at it, its in the back garden

It was well worth the money paid.

I see some clever photography of leaves/spears so here is my try.
spearmarch.jpg
spearmarch.jpg (138.51 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
:lol: :lol:

I hope your holidays is enjoyable. The news today is wind and snow..will spring ever get here?

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Have you decided where to dig your border Kata or where to plant your Trachycarpus?
kata

Post by kata »

Trachis going in the lawn Dee, smaller one forming a circle around the big one.

The guy is coming monday to prune the Leylandi....excited... :lol: :lol: to see daylight on the lawn. Its only been getting half sun for goodness knows how long.

Before
hedge1.jpg
After or close to it. I asked him to make it a box shape and lower but old hedges you can't do as you like so we'll see how they end up.
hedgeboxed.jpg
hedgeboxed.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Later he is also going to shape the lawn a bit later on as its cost quite a bit for the hedge, he will cut the boarders and plant the Trackis at same time.

I have planted tmy new standared rose and put potted shrubs in the bigger border just to see how they will look.

In front of the fir tree is smalls Daffs, two mats that make those tiny pink flowers either side of the cream Primrose. That area is estblished from last year.
Saxifrage.jpg
Trying to make the best of a bad laid out garden Dee, also its small which does'nt help. Two tree stumps in the border too... :( :( but on a corner at the back so I hope to cover those with more cream Primrose plants, crocus and small Daffs..

Look at this flower, not mine but I love the color.
Attachments
monkeyflower2.jpg