Palm Pictures Mid-Autumn

Rod

Palm Pictures Mid-Autumn

Post by Rod »

Just having a look around the garden today and decided to take a few photos of some Palms before Winter starts.

Brahea edulis

Butia odorata ( 2-yrs in the ground )

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea radicalis

Cordyline indivisa

Cordyline obtecta Green Goddess

Dypsis decipiens ( 16-months in the ground )

Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi ( 13-months in the ground )

Phoenix loureiroi ( 8-yrs old potted )

Phoenix sylvestris
Last edited by Rod on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruefan

Re: Palm Pictures Mid-Autumn

Post by cruefan »

Really lovely palms there , i have both the chamaedoreas to try this year, are they both suited to a shady spot.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Oh my Rod, your garden does look good! Apart from the palms, the Cordylines look particularly good. The indivisa I've seen a few times here, but never seen a 'pick up and go' Green Godess before. It looks a nice plant. :D

Di
Last edited by DiCasS on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Rod

Post by Rod »

cruefan wrote:Really lovely palms there , i have both the chamaedoreas to try this year, are they both suited to a shady spot.
Hi Cruefan - Yeah they will be fine in a shady spot. I keep both of these in light shade, as our sun is very harsh.
I have 8-more C. radicalis in the ground, planted in light shade which are doing fine.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

What's the tree top left in the Chamaedorea microspadix pic? Looks a bit like Schinus molle but not quite right.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Conifers wrote:What's the tree top left in the Chamaedorea microspadix pic? Looks a bit like Schinus molle but not quite right.
Your right Conifers it is a Schinus molle.
We have hundreds of these trees growing in Christchurch.
kata

Post by kata »

Beautiful palms!

icon_cheers
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Rod wrote:
Conifers wrote:What's the tree top left in the Chamaedorea microspadix pic? Looks a bit like Schinus molle but not quite right.
Your right Conifers it is a Schinus molle.
We have hundreds of these trees growing in Christchurch.
One of my favourite trees, I love the peppercorn smell. Reminds me of being a kid climbing trees. :DD

Nice healthy collection of palms youve got and nice tidy lush garden icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Beautiful healthy plants there Rod.

I love the Cordy Goddess, haven't seen those over here and wonderif they are hardy enough for Northern UK or a softer variety like the coloured versions such as Torbay Dazzler.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Inspirational photos icon_thumleft .The only one I have,that comes close to matching up is my B.edulis.That schinus molle ,caught my eye as well(I am already on the hunt for seed)I have never heard of it before.The 'mid autumn' title caught me out for a second.I thought it was a post started,last year :? .Hope you have a shorter winter,than we had.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Half Hardy wrote:That schinus molle ,caught my eye as well(I am already on the hunt for seed)I have never heard of it before.
This Ebay seller posts worlwide: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Schinus-moll ... 257b5b5df6

I dont think they are hardy in the UK though? They grow in Hobart so they dont need summer heat obviously, but not sure they could survive a freeze...
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Troppoz wrote:
Half Hardy wrote:That schinus molle ,caught my eye as well(I am already on the hunt for seed)I have never heard of it before.
This Ebay seller posts worlwide: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Schinus-moll ... 257b5b5df6

I dont think they are hardy in the UK though? They grow in Hobart so they dont need summer heat obviously, but not sure they could survive a freeze...
Thanks for the link icon_thumleft
As soon as I googled it I saw,only hardy to zone 9.Some maps,put my area as zone 9,but I don't believe them.I am growing a few things,that will be a struggle to keep alive,outside over winter(e.g jacaranda,strelitzia,nikau palms c.dealbata).I have a greenhouse raised up on some decking,to gain extra head height.So I should be okay for a few years with most things,If global warming hasn't arrived by then,I will need to think of a plan B.I am growing most things,either from seed or from very young plants,so it's not much to loose financially,if things don't work out.

Edit...I have just noticed this sellers min. postage charge($15).Seems a bit steep,I might have to find another source.
I like the look of,Cordyline petiolaris he has listed.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote:I dont think [Schinus molle] are hardy in the UK though? They grow in Hobart so they dont need summer heat obviously, but not sure they could survive a freeze...
No, they're not hardy in the UK; and from what I've read, lack of summer heat is also important as well as frost (-3 or -4 is about its tolerance limit).
Rod

Post by Rod »

Peruvian Pepper Tree can take down to -6°c in Christchurch. ( Don't know if this translates well to the UK though )

Here's a thought ( Give one a try if you can grow a Canary Island Date Palm ) - They seem to go hand in hand in New Zealand. Anywhere we grow one of these, you see the other one growing nearby.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nice palms Rod, I'm particularly interested in your Loureiroi as I have just germinated some seeds and yours is the first I have seen on HTUK. Would you say Its as hardy as a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP? How much frost will it take out there, and does it need full sun. Thanks.