T.takil - My first sprouts

Post Reply
Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Sat May 18, 2013 3:11 am

Hi there,
These are my very first T.takil sprouts - from my first batch ( which was only 25 seeds )
Any hints from members who have successfully grown these into good sized potted specimens ?
Do i have to keep these on the moist or dry side ? - All help is appreciated.

Image
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by redsquirrel » Sun May 19, 2013 11:01 am

hi Rod,i had awful problems with damping off outside so ive got the next few on the bathroom window sill where they have now got strong first leaves and starting second.i let them dry between waterings too,more down to laziness than prescription but it seems to work icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure


Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Sun May 19, 2013 12:03 pm

redsquirrel wrote:hi Rod,i had awful problems with damping off outside so ive got the next few on the bathroom window sill where they have now got strong first leaves and starting second.i let them dry between waterings too,more down to laziness than prescription but it seems to work icon_thumleft
Hi redsquirrel
Yeah - I have mine inside, so i can grow them all through winter.

Can you post some photos of yours please?
Mine are living in 18°-24°c in the living room at the moment.
Last edited by Rod on Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 am

UPDATE; 6-days later

Image
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:10 am

UPDATE; 16-days after first photo in this post.

Image
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Alexander » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 am

Nice you also get them now in New Zealand!

Alexander


Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 am

Alexander wrote:Nice you also get them now in New Zealand!

Alexander
Hi Alexander
No - i got these from RPS
The only Trachycarpus species you can buy from garden centres in New Zealand are;

1/ T. fortunei
2/ T. latisectus ( North Island only - RARE )
3/ T. martianus var. khasia hills ( North Island Only in selected stores )
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Alexander » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Rod wrote:
Alexander wrote:Nice you also get them now in New Zealand!

Alexander
Hi Alexander
No - i got these from RPS
The only Trachycarpus species you can buy from garden centres in New Zealand are;

1/ T. fortunei
2/ T. latisectus ( North Island only - RARE )
3/ T. martianus var. khasia hills ( North Island Only in selected stores )
Not via EPS but RPS?

Alexander


User avatar
kata
Posts: 14589
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by kata » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Nice specimens Rod,

icon_cheers
http://flowersnpalms.com/floraandfaunauk/

Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:


Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:09 am

Alexander wrote:
Rod wrote:
Alexander wrote:Nice you also get them now in New Zealand!

Alexander
Hi Alexander
No - i got these from RPS
The only Trachycarpus species you can buy from garden centres in New Zealand are;

1/ T. fortunei
2/ T. latisectus ( North Island only - RARE )
3/ T. martianus var. khasia hills ( North Island Only in selected stores )
Not via EPS but RPS?

Alexander
Hi Alexander - Bought direct from RarePalmSeeds
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


Rod
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 am

Here's an update today

6x seedlings growing well so far
Image

3x seedlings are producing their second leaf
Image
Latitude; 43°,31'S
Hottest Month; 23.0°c / 12.0°c
Coldest Month; 11.0°c / 2.0°c
Mean Sunshine; 2144 hrs
Mean Rainfall; 618 mm


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Alexander » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Ron,

Yes offcourse, Rare Palm Seeds. And they get the from Herbert Riphagen whom went to Kalamuni in December 2011. I went there a month earlier in November and they where buzzy collecting the seeds. And I had a chai with those seedcollectors also in the field.

Funny how small the World is...

Alexander


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: T.takil - My first sprouts

Post by Alexander » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:46 am

Rod wrote:
Alexander wrote:Nice you also get them now in New Zealand!

Alexander
Hi Alexander
No - i got these from RPS
The only Trachycarpus species you can buy from garden centres in New Zealand are;

1/ T. fortunei
2/ T. latisectus ( North Island only - RARE )
3/ T. martianus var. khasia hills ( North Island Only in selected stores )
Maybe you can try mypalmshop.com I know the owner, he seems to sell to many countries. And he gets thousends of young Trachycarpus takil at his nursery for example.

Alexander


Post Reply