royal palm seedlings

philip kitts

royal palm seedlings

Post by philip kitts »

I have two seedlings from a specimen on lapalma in the canaries in august2013. They both have their first strap leaf but im at a loss for cultivation info any help would be greatly recieved can they go out for the summer?
Nathan

Re: royal palm seedlings

Post by Nathan »

Inside they will require a bright & warm spot & appreciate a high level of humidity. Don't allow them to dry out completely, but don't over water either. They can go outside for the summer but keep them in a shady spot as they will scorch if placed directly into the sun. You may be able to acclimatise them to full sun but by the time you have done it it will be time to bring them back indoors again lol
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

Thanks for the info nathan I also collected some dypsis seeds ,can a species be identified by its strap leaf?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Not really, many palms all look the same at the strap leaved seedling stage, especially if they are of the same genus...
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Well done with those, Philip. The seedling stage of these is a little precarious unless they have ideal conditions. Nathan's advice is spot on. You can take just a few more liberties with an established plant. I could never find a big enough one to bring back from my regular visits to the Canaries. Now, of course, you can't bring anything back from there without the appropriate certificate.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

thanks for your help icon_salut , im really surprised by there speed of growth much faster then other species of the same age
I may have a monster on my hands :lol: