Trachycarpus seedlings gone bonkers.

Robin Cassell

Trachycarpus seedlings gone bonkers.

Post by Robin Cassell »

Just got this pic of the hardy palm American site...makes you wonder how many will survive and get big ?
Attachments
trachybabies.jpg
John P

Re: Trachycarpus seedlings gone bonkers.

Post by John P »

Robin it looks a bit like Dave Brown's garden.

John
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

And Exmouth seafront.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

John P wrote:Robin it looks a bit like Dave Brown's garden.

John
Yes it does apart from the wall :lol:

This pic show the seedlings today. even the big palm is a seedling..... the mother is the trunk in the centre. :lol: The only limit to Trachycarpus growth here is the dry summers, 2007/8 excepted. Seedlings grow much further out than the pic shows but these are dug out and given away :wink:
Attachments
180109 pics 020.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Troppoz »

They make a nice groundcover Dave!
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

I knew you had a lot growing Dave but that is outrageous!! :DD I might just nick youre pic and stick it on the u.s. site under the other one..
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Thats a fair few plants there Dave, how big will you let them get to before you thin them out? :D You could supply the whole of the UK I think with Trachycarpus. Do you still send your seed to nurserys?

Cheers

Keith
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think I have populated much of Chalk :lol: and 300 seedlings went to Northern Scotland. must be maybe 7 years ago. I have sold a lot of seed, but the market is saturated now. When I first sold seed to Tobias Spanner, UK grown seed was not common. Trachycarpus fortunei has now come of age in the UK, so seed is much more plentiful icon_thumright and the palm is now established enough to naturalise inthe wetter parts.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by trachy1973 »

Ah Tobias Spanner and Martin Gibbons, I would love to take a trip to the Palm Centre and I would guess that this just on your back door Dave? How lucky you are. icon_thumleft

Do you grow any other varieties of Trachycarpus other than the Waggie which I have seen in your pictures and if so how do you find them in comparison to the long standing Fortunei?

Cheers

Keith
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

trachy1973 wrote:Ah Tobias Spanner and Martin Gibbons, I would love to take a trip to the Palm Centre and I would guess that this just on your back door Dave? How lucky you are. icon_thumleft

Do you grow any other varieties of Trachycarpus other than the Waggie which I have seen in your pictures and if so how do you find them in comparison to the long standing Fortunei?

Cheers

Keith
It was Rare Palm Seed Keith, had to pack then up and send to Germany. The Palm Centre is not close I am the wrong side of London for that :roll:

Not been that adventurous with Trachycarpus I'm afraid, fortunei and waggie apart from the last couple of years. but the variation of fortunei seedlings just amazes me, from the same mother. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pete G »

Dave do you get seed on your Waggie?

Mines goes through the motions, or has done a couple of years, but it looks like the few that have set are not going to make it again this year.
They just seem to shrivel though the winter and drop of immature in the spring. :roll:
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Ah right, just have to brush up on my geography a bit in your neck of the woods :lol:

Is it true that Waggies produce seed or flower a lot earlier than fortunei? I remember reading this somewhere on some site but cannot find it?

Thanks

Keith icon_salut
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Not been that adventurous with Trachycarpus I'm afraid, fortunei and waggie apart from the last couple of years. but the variation of fortunei seedlings just amazes me, from the same mother. icon_thumright[/quote]

Dave, you don't happen to have any surplus Waggie seedlings or young juveniles by any chance do you? I'd be interested in a couple or three[ I'll need to renew my passport for a trip down to kent in the spring though]. :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nigel, I have a few Trachys that have sprouted from a batch of seeds that were thrown on the ground
DSCF3957.JPG
I f you are going to Akamba I will lift a couple for you.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

My T. fortuneii seedlings are all crappe :(

They are nearly 2 years old now (thanks to a load of seed from DaveB icon_thumleft ) and they aren't doing too well. I left a couple in the greenhouse last year and they seemed to not appreciate the heat yet the ones I left outside haven't seemed to appreciate the cold icon_scratch

I bet they only have 3 little strap leaves at best......